FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple Movie Clip as Button - HELP!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
Simple Movie Clip as Button - HELP!
on May 19, 2008 at 10:12:40 pm

I'm sure this is so simple -

I have created a site that's completely static - click on a button and ding, that screen pops up.

Now I want to create screens that animate up: first, an image fades in, then a gray transparent box, then text on the box. I've created these animated screens as their own symbols in their own timelines as library objects.

I have 4 layers - labels, actions, buttons, static graphics.
I want the screens that animate as movie_clips to replace the static graphics.

How do I insert these movie clips in the timeline in place of the current buttons and screens?

Am I looking at a whole new architecture for the timeline? Or is there a way to paste the movie clip buttons where their corresponding simple buttons are, and then script the timeline to gotoAndPlay these movies, nested in the root timeline?

I'm confused.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Tattersley
Re: Simple Movie Clip as Button - HELP!
on May 20, 2008 at 9:08:14 am

When you select a movie clip or any symbol u should have a button in your properties panel that says swap, click this and u can swap symbols for any other one form your library panel!

Please note you must do this for every individual keyframe.

best regards, Ben Tattersley.

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
Re: Simple Movie Clip as Button - HELP!
on May 30, 2008 at 4:43:36 pm

Okay - I posted this because I had created some nice movieclip tweens that faded-in the images and text on the informational pages of my site. I COULD NOT for the life of me figure out how to connect them to, or trigger them from the main timeline. I'm still working on it, but I found a great, very clear tutorial on it here:

basically, it's important to create a class out of your movie clips (the first tutorial shows how in step 3) and then simple actionscript on an actions layer can play them on the main timeline.

This was a big relief to me to finally figure out.

Although: after a clip plays, it's necessary to remove the clip from the display list, so that when the next button is pushed by the user, the movie doesn't sit there and block incoming content. This is done using removeChild() or removeChildAt():

Anyway check out Diane's tutorials. There's a lot of good info here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved