FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dreamweaver Not Recognizing New Flash Video

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Wise
Dreamweaver Not Recognizing New Flash Video
on May 18, 2008 at 8:18:31 pm

I have authored a new flash video in Adobe Flash CS3 and it previews properly within that application. However I can't save it as a .flv file that Dreamweaver CS3 will recognize and insert in a web page. It is always stored by Flash as a .fla or .swf file and those are grayed-out when selecting a flash video file for insertion in Dreamweaver. I have tried exporting a flash movie, but still get the .swf suffix. (Dreamweaver will, however, still let me insert the original .flv file without the Flash CS3 modifications.)

Any suggestions? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

kelly johnson
Re: Dreamweaver Not Recognizing New Flash Video
on May 20, 2008 at 4:16:14 pm

When you import an .flv into Flash, you create an .swf file that must be in the same location as the actual flv file.

In Dreamweaver, you would select Insert Media and then Flash and place the .swf.

You can directly place the .flv but what DW does is to create that .swf intermediate file.

The problem with that is the name is generic and if you want to place multiple .flv files, DW writes over itself.

I'm simplifying all this... just place the .swf file within your page in DW... the .swf file that is created when you Publish in Flash the .flv. You need both files.

Also, put the ActiveContent.js or whatever it's called in the location as well. That file is created for you by Flash.

If you've done something in DW, you'll get a prompt about putting the Scripts folder which contains the activecontent.js

So, you need three files in the same folder:
1- the .flv
2. the .swf
3. Script folder or the ActiveContent.js file

Return to posts index

Tom Wise
Re: Dreamweaver Not Recognizing New Flash Video
on May 21, 2008 at 10:25:51 am

Thanks for the info, Kelly. I confirmed that all of those associated files are in the same folder, and Dreamweaver still won't allow me to select a .swf for insertion as a flash video. These screen grabs illustrate what I am getting:

http://www.editpacific.com/dreamweaver.html

I also looked through all of the preferences and can find nothing that would cause this snag. Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]