FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Questions about Flash Generally

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
General Questions about Flash Generally
on May 7, 2008 at 5:19:55 pm

Learning to use flash and have run across some ideas I want to vet with the experts:

Why not apply AS3 to buttons?

I heard one web guy's site say all Flash animations should consist of only four frames - that the rest of it should be actionscript. If you have twenty layers and hundreds of frames, the file's too unwieldy and that Flash programmers should strive to script everything in four frames. Really?

Is it a viable workflow to create a page in Illustrator, import the .ai file to Flash and then select certain illustrator objects and convert them into flash buttons, banners, slideshows, etc.? or should all that drawing and gradient creating happen in flash instead?

Where can I find basic info about embedding a completed flash project onto a web page?

Thanks for you time,

TD

Return to posts index

Tony Ross
Re: General Questions about Flash Generally
on May 10, 2008 at 12:32:55 pm

OK, first and foremost I think I'd rather discuss sex, religion, or politics than to step into this heated question of (paraphrasing here)"which is the right way to use Flash". That being said, here goes.
The beauty of almost any graphics software is that there are so many ways to do the same thing. AS3 is seemingly what every coder has been waiting for, more strict rules on how to write, and where to place code. AS1 & 2 would tell you, I think you have an error on line 2 about something. AS3 on the other hand tells you in detail what is the error.

As far as the frames and layers thing goes, I am an animator and motion graphics artist and break this rule 2 minutes into any new Flash project. I believe that "4 frames" is reserved for hard core programmers and coders.

Should you build in Illustrator or Flash? That depends, do you like plain lemonade or pink lemonade? In short, it's up to you. The Vector Kid illustrates solely in Flash, while Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends uses a combination of Illustrator, After Effects and Flash.

All of this is to say, Flash is many things to many people, which is why it is so popular. Hope this helps. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Oh, Ralph Wiggum is my choice for president, God fearing and celibate.
Thanks Tony Ross

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
Re: General Questions about Flash Generally
on May 13, 2008 at 6:23:25 pm

thanks for responding Tony -

I've been on your color button tutorial - and I laid out my timeline in line with your example -

but in AS3 (even with the AS 3 event listeners in place) the images keep cycling without stopping. Where should the stop command go???

driving me crazy ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]