FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactive 3D Globe?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Callahan
Interactive 3D Globe?
on Apr 12, 2008 at 5:48:03 am

I am trying to make a 3D globe in flash to be added to a website. I want the user to be able to click and drag on the globe to spin it left and right, and when they stop click/drag the globe stops spinning.

I know Maya very well, so I could easily create a nice globe in Maya, and make it into a video file. But I do not know how to make the video file interact with the user when they click/drag on the globe? Is using a video file even the correct approach?

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Interactive 3D Globe?
on Apr 12, 2008 at 11:54:30 am

This all depends on how much interaction you would like. If you simply want the user to be able to rotate the globe around it's x axis, then you can use a video file (or, the way I do it, create a sequence of image files and load them into a movieclip in flash seperately.

Once you've done this, use the onDrag and onMouseMove methods to check if the mouse is moved left or right when dragging and act accordingly (make the globe move ahead on frame or go back on frame). This is a very rudimentary method, but it will do the trick.

If you want the globe to rotate around all axis, have a look at papervision3D. This is an opensource 3D engine written in actionscript.

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Robert Callahan
on Apr 15, 2008 at 6:30:56 pm

I just want it to rotate around one axis, so I can spin it left to right. I created my video file, and also a sequence of images, but I do not understand how to create the onDrag and onMouseMove actions. I am just learning Flash.

Return to posts index

catherine sulzmann
on May 20, 2012 at 3:26:30 pm

Hi Robert,
I realise your post was a long time ago - but did you ever figure out how to make a rotating globe using the image sequences or video file? I want to do the same thing with a interactive rotating shoulder (made in Maya) for a medical project I'm working on but I can't find a tutorial any where and forums don't seem to be very helpful.
I'd be very grateful if you had any tips or could point me in the right direction to completing this project.
Thank you
All the best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved