FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy Video Playback (locally)

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Ashby
Choppy Video Playback (locally)
on Mar 31, 2008 at 9:05:18 pm

Having really bad, choppy playback locally. Here's the scenario:

I made a swf that basically is a video jukebox (player.swf): video pulled in dynamically, custom playback controlls and volume slider, and video is h.264 w 44.1 khz audio . The player.swf on its own works great, plays smooth.

Then, I have the website.swf that is basically the website, and it loads in the player.swf dynamically, when the user chooses to do so. When the video plays back here, its choppy as hell.

There's 3 options for the player, small, medium, large. Even the small video, which is around 300 kbps doesn't play very smooth. Not as bad as the large version, of course, but still...

Maybe what I'm doing is just bad practice. I dont know. I haven't been able to find any info on this.

I made a netStream version as well as a FLVPlayback Component version and there's really no difference in the way they play. I even nixed the h.264 and encoded a On2VP6 flv. Same thing, just crappier looking video.

Could it be my source QT? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: Choppy Video Playback (locally)
on Aug 5, 2008 at 3:53:51 pm

Did you ever resolve the problem? I'm having similar issues. I think it's related to the playback size. I have a swf that plays back fullscreen. It makes the video run like crap. However, if I take out the fullscreen command, the video isn't choppy. Hmmm. So how does Youtube / Google Video do it?

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:38:24 pm

Perhaps this will help?

Dev Net article on Fullscreen mode.

Using fscommands with video usually isn't the best idea. Instead use the Stage["displayState"].

Kind regards,

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
on Aug 6, 2008 at 9:46:16 pm

YouTube and Google use a Flash steaming server with variable bit rate.

I never really came up with a good solution. I just noticed that newer computers really had no problem with playback. I also stayed away from having a swf loaded inside a swf from playing video. With my problem bit rate and fps didn't seem to matter much. they all played crappy on older computers, but lower ones were obviously better.

Flash has not been a very solid video player like quicktime. From what I've read recent versions and the 10 beta utilize the GPU more for better playback. So maybe this problem will soon be one in the past.

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved