FORUMS: list search recent posts

import gradient alpha

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan shohet
import gradient alpha
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:10:08 am

Hi all,
I've created in photoshop a photo with a gradient layer mask resulting in a picture that starts as 100% transparent, and becomes 100% opaque from left to right.
I import to flash and and animate on top of another picture to create a dissolve effect.
Flash recognizes the transparency, but it does not handle the gradient well, and the dissolve isn't soft and nice as I'd hoped. I've tried importing as psd and as png 24-bit.
Is this a limitation of Flash, not being able to produce soft nice looking bitmap gradients as in photoshop, or is there any method to get better results?
Many thanks in advance, folks.

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: import gradient alpha
on Feb 26, 2008 at 5:31:08 am

First look into the bitmapDisplay class.

But second, if you're looking to dissolve one image into another, try a square white box (or whatever the color of your background is) and use alpha tweens along with a position tween.

Or maybe third, build the gradient in Flash and overlay that onto the PNG graphic to help smooth-out the actual gradient.

Return to posts index

Ross Gerbasi
on Feb 27, 2008 at 4:24:16 pm

I dont think i have ever reallyhad this problem but, you could also just do the gradient mask in flash? as of flash 8 gradient masks have been supported. You need to do something like this.

make a movieclip to be masked (maskee)
make a movieclip that is the mask (theMask)

in theMask make your shape and fill it with a gradient that has 0 alpha on one end and 100% on the other, or whatever combination you need,

then you need to do the rest in code, this is a AS3 example

maskee.cacheAsBitmap = true;
theMask.cacheAsBitmap = true;
maskee.mask = theMask;

AS2 would be the same except it would be
maskee.setMask() instead of maskee.mask

Return to posts index

jonathan shohet
on Feb 28, 2008 at 9:49:04 am

thank you for the tips!

Return to posts index