FORUMS: list search recent posts

i need help with rollover movieclips

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony stephenson
i need help with rollover movieclips
on Feb 11, 2008 at 2:22:32 am

I need some help with animated buttons/movies in Flash CS3.
Bascially what i want to do is to create an animated movie clip that will be my header image for a blog i'm creating for college.
The animation was created in after effects and exported as PNG images for transparent backgrounds. Easy enough.
But i want to animate the movie clip as a roll over. so as the mouse is hovering over the MC it plays the animation in a loop, but when the mouse is moved away it finishes the animation then stops. I have had so much bother trying to do this. I have a decent enough knowledge of actionscript and flash and made plenty of stuff before, but with this i'm stuck.
I've looked high and low for tutorials but none are what i need or do not work. I've tried everything from using button overstates (which only play the animation once then need clicked to do it again???) to using on.Rollover actionscript for the movie clip. Yet i have not had any luck.
Does anyone know how to do this. I would prefer to do it as a movieclip as the header does not link anywhere. It is just for show as the navigation bar will be seperate.
All replies are welcome

Return to posts index

Steve Parker
Re: i need help with rollover movieclips
on Feb 13, 2008 at 5:02:48 am

Hey's a pretty straightforward approach

create your movieclip which contains your png sequence, since you want it looping don't put any stop(); actions in.

now create a new button, in the "up" frame insert what ever individual PNG you want the user to see while they aren't rolling over the button.

next, in the "over" frame insert your movieclip with the looping PNG sequence.

finally create the "hit" area of your button. that should do it...rolling over the button will activate your looping movieclip, rolling off the button and it goes back to a static state.

there are more advanced ways to do this using movieclips and actionscript giving you more control, but I think this will get you what you're looking for.

good luck!

Return to posts index

Tony Ross
Re: i need help with rollover movieclips
on Feb 20, 2008 at 3:08:17 am

Here is another possible solution:

Thanks Tony Ross

Return to posts index

Christopher Mallan
Rollover Movieclip Buttons
on May 10, 2010 at 2:48:36 pm

This tutorial was perfect for my needs, almost.

I've fiddled around with it to try and make a movieclip button with rollover effects, that, once clicked, takes me to another page in a flash navigation that I am working on.

Pleeeeease help me :D

Return to posts index

Steve Parker
Re: Rollover Movieclip Buttons
on May 11, 2010 at 6:13:27 pm

Can you give more detail in terms of where you are getting stuck?

Return to posts index

Christopher Mallan
Re: Rollover Movieclip Buttons
on May 13, 2010 at 9:44:22 am

As it stands, I have an movie clip which animates as i hover over it. I just can't work out how to use it as an actual button to navigate to another page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved