FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP HD -> .FLV - ridiculously slow encoding times...

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kero visuals
FCP HD -> .FLV - ridiculously slow encoding times...
on Feb 8, 2008 at 12:39:41 pm

Hi
Im editing a series of short features at HD (1920x1080) resolution and need to convert them to .flv files for a clients website. They have asked for 3 different .flv settings, as well as an animation codec quicktime.
I have been saving the animation codec .mov - 100% quality and 1280x720 resolution (which come in at about 12GB for a 3 minute cut), and then running these through the stand-alone Flash Video Encoder. Trouble is the encoding times are killing me - sometimes over 5 hours per encode!
The 3 different settings I have been asked to encode are:

512 kbit/s
o 1280px * 720px
o Codec: On2VP6.
o PAL 25 FPS/sec
o Video 330 Kb/s – Audio 80 Kb/s

1 Mbit/s
o 1280px * 720px
o PAL 25 FPS/sec
o Video 692 Kb/s – Audio 128 Kb/s

2 Mbit/s
o 1280px * 720px
o PAL 25 FPS/sec
o Video 1492 Kb/s – Audio 128 Kb/s

For embed player – 1Mbit/s
o 500px * 281px
o PAL 25 FPS/sec
o Video 692 Kb/s – Audio 128 Kb/s

The turnaround times are crazy tight - 24 hours to edit, encode and upload. It is taking over 12 hours of this time just to encode the videos. The finished .flv files range in size from about 15MB to 70MB depending on the settings.

So my question is, what is the best workflow for getting these edits from Final Cut to the finished .flv files that will take less time? Unfortunately this is a live project and I dont have time to do loads of experimenting with settings / workflows - and my next delivery deadline is in about 48 hours.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Jermaine Allen
Re: FCP HD -> .FLV - ridiculously slow encoding times...
on Feb 22, 2008 at 10:19:37 pm

Im having the Same problem with my projects at the minute. Currently using Quad core Zeon pc to encode to FLV (or SWF!) and its takes roughly 1 hour per 5 minutes of Quicktime DV footage...

Im using Flixpro to encode with ON2VP6, i here the problem is the software only uses one thread in-terms of processing power! I here that Carbon Coder with Flix Exporter uses all threads on Quad core pcs. so your looking to improve your encode times by 40%

Return to posts index

kero visuals
on Apr 6, 2008 at 11:50:46 am

Never did find a solution. I started exporting HD files with the XD-CAM codec for my masters (as opposed to the Animation codec) and that helped a lot. But it still takes anywhere between 1 and 2.5 hours per encode of a 3 minute video (depending on the .flv settings).

Return to posts index

David Waddell
on Apr 6, 2008 at 6:07:18 am

Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I'm stuck with a nine-hour conversion time for a twenty minute HD video.

Dave Waddell
Houston, TX USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]