FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE to Flash or perhaps Flash issue??

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
randy almand
AE to Flash or perhaps Flash issue??
on Feb 4, 2008 at 2:24:32 pm

Can someone help a newbie? Using After Effects 7, I created my first beautiful 'write-on' effect by 'growing' out a swirl. I hope to use this on my Flash website. I first tried to render the swirl out to a .mov file. The .mov file works beautifully with clean smooth motion as the swirl grows however I'm unable to keep the transparency (even with the toggle transparency grid selected and Lossless with Alpha export). So then I tried exporting to a FLV file. Now I keep the transparency I want, but the playback of the 'growing' swirl is extremely jittery with start-stop motion. I've tried making sure the fps were set to equal values (20 fps) and still no luck. First, is there a preferred method when pulling AE effects into Flash (.mov, mpeg, or FLV, etc?)? Second, any ideas on how to clean up the motion of the FLV file in flash?

Specs: Flash 8, After Effects 7. Graphic size in AE is 2500 pixels wide by approx. 1700 pixels high. Length of effects is under 3 seconds.

Thanks ever so much for your help !!!!!! ~randy

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: AE to Flash or perhaps Flash issue??
on Feb 4, 2008 at 9:56:13 pm

Well, that' a HUGE file in terms of dimensions... it could just be choking the processor in the flv format.

Do you have the Flash video encoder? That's better than the sub-plug in that gets installed in AE.

How about converting the QuickTime in the Flash Encoder and check the Alpha box?

How detailed is the swirl? Can it be traced in vectors and then just erased frame by frame to achieve the same look?

Is this for a background (I would guess due to the pixel size).

Return to posts index

randy almand
Re: AE to Flash or perhaps Flash issue??
on Feb 5, 2008 at 12:26:04 pm

Thank you Kelly... first, I am not familiar with alpha channels so I assumed that since the .mov export from AE was not giving me the checkerboard transparency, I did not have the transparency in the .mov file. But perhaps I am wrong. The black background could be a alpha channel I guess. So yes, when I get home, I will try exactly what you suggested by encoding the .mov file through the Flash encoder. I just hope that I do not have to put a 'skin' on it as this swirl will be an effet that happens when a button is pushed.

And yes.. I know the file is huge, but I'm still uncertain as to the actual size my Flash website needs to be. So I figured I could start off large and scale it down once I figure this out. I did wonder if the dimensional size could case this jittery motion, but the swirl is not complicated in the least. It is the first of 5 and I thought I should learn on the simplest and return to the complicated swirls once I have it figured out.

I would love to figure a way to create the swirl in vectors, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Created in Photoshop, it does 'pop' from the page in that it looks a little 3Dish.

It is not necessarily 'the background' but in the background. When a button is clicked, it will 'grow' out and over-lap some of the page content. When another button is clicked, the same swirl will dissolve into the background giving a transparent appearance while a new swirl grows out. At least this is the plan.. I will most certainly reduce the image size. In fact I've alrady reduced it down to 1000 pixels wide X 700 wide... the 5000 pixels wide was the over-all size of my background.

Thanks ever so much Kelly as I hope and believe taking the .mov file through the video encoder will give me what I'm looking for. I just hope that black background does actually represent an alpha channel.. ???

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]