FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Editing w/Flash

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smileswearily
Video Editing w/Flash
on Jan 17, 2008 at 9:33:50 pm

Hello!

So, I work for a company that wants my group to produce a series of short webinars. However, due to corporate politics, my group is limited to using Macromedia Flash Pro 8. From the top, I think the idea is to record it and transfer it from .wmv to .swf and post it on the internal website.

However, I anticipate and hope that we can do some light video editing - namely, combine two short clips into one clip for export.

Another snag - we're limited to using the Progressive Download option . . . I know that you can import them as imbedded in .swfs, but that won't result in a PD output, as I understand it.

Tomorrow, I will dig into flash and see what I can do with 2 PD imports in the timeline, but I've played around a little and it doesn't look super promising.

I have editing experience with FCP 5.X, so I've worked with video in a timeline . . .

I was just hoping I could pick your brains to point me in the right direction . . .or find out it was hopeless and avoid a little frustration.

Thanks for your help!

CMF

Return to posts index

Ross Gerbasi
Re: Video Editing w/Flash
on Jan 18, 2008 at 3:31:33 pm

Not hopeless at all... I mean there are obviously a ton of web seminars all done in flash... Actually even if you had a choice of format I would think Flash Video would be the way to go. I think what you had incorrect was moving the video into a SWF. You don't wanna bring the video into the flash IDE.

Your process would be something like this. Edit your clips in final cut, export to quick time. Compress the clips to FLV.

Put the FLV's up on the web. Then write, or download a Flash Video Player. There are like a bagillion. I just did a quick search for "free flv player" I have used this one before

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player

Should be as simple as setting up a play list for all the clips you made.

FLV will progressivly play... just how they work.

hope this helps
-ross

Return to posts index

charles michael fulton
on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:09:30 pm

Hey Ross,

I appreciate the advice, but we've got all those steps down. The problem I'm having is we CANNOT use FCP or anything that is really, actually intended for video editing.
I tried pasting two videos into two different frames on the timeline, I tried adding the videos as symbols in two different frames in the timeline and I tried adding the videos as symbols in two different scenes in the timeline.

I would appreciate any further help... I'm going to go back to lynda.com and do the flash tutorial again (I only got to "Understanding the timeline" with my last subscription), so hopefully I will see the possibilites with a deeper understanding of the program itself.

Thanks!

CMF

Return to posts index

Ross Gerbasi
on Jan 21, 2008 at 3:29:58 pm

oooo hmm,... thats an odd restriction... Flash has ZERO video editing capabilities... you will find it useless to try to remove frames from the middle of a clip... I dunno if you can export your footage to a jpeg sequence.. or if thats restricted too...

Aside from that I dunno man, flash is just not made to edit video.. Maybe u can explain more about the restriction and we can find a workaround?

-ross

Return to posts index

charles michael fulton
on Jan 21, 2008 at 11:37:58 pm

Hey Ross,

The restriction is pretty silly and arbitrary. What it come down to is that if we use an editing program, it is "editing," and we would have to employ another department to do the editing - which is outside of our department's budget . . . even though I could do all of that stuff.

Regardless, I don't need to remove segments from the interior of a clip... all I need to do, really, is take two .wmv files and place them into one Flash sequence with the "import as progressive video" options and get them to play in sequence. I don't really need transitions or anything. All I want is for one of the 'segments' to stop and then the next segment to begin.

I know I can do this by embedding the video - but that has audio sync problems, plus it's not what they want. Plus, they want the progressive download version, and that's it.

Any ideas about playing two .wmv clips is sequence?

Thanks!

CMF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]