FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing XML for dynamic button menu

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KB Brown
Importing XML for dynamic button menu
on Jan 9, 2008 at 11:39:11 pm

I am working on a project right now that pulls up category menus with buttons that then go to individual listings (recipes).

Basically, I have it set up to go to a separate frame for each category and load a movie clip template which will hold the buttons and recipes. When one of the buttons in the first frame is pressed, it goes to the next labeled frame in the MC that holds the dynamic text fields for the individual recipes, and populates them from my XML file. So far, I have all that set up in framework/concept, but I'm a nuB integrating XML in Flash with actionscript (btw, I am in mx2004), so...

1. How do I get the buttons to dynamically create themselves based on how many of the recipes in that category are in the XML file? So far, I designed a button ("buttontext") with a dynamic text field with variable name "dish", which corresponds to the xml file. There is a button mask to load the buttons into and I made the button symbol export at runtime in first frame.

2. How do I get the recipe page to pull up the particular record that the dynamically created button refers to? I have variables declared across to my XML file entries for each of the dynamic text boxes on the recipe page of the MC. Seems like I should simply have to match the "dish" variable assigned to the button to the "dish" variable on the individual listing page, but I am not sure how to do that.

All guidance on any part of the above will be appreciated.

Happy new year to everyone on CreativeCOW!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved