FORUMS: list search recent posts

Button Animations are Laggy and Slow, any suggestions?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Steiner
Button Animations are Laggy and Slow, any suggestions?
on Jan 6, 2008 at 7:09:02 am

Hello,
I am fairly new to the flash world and I have been able to stumble my way along to a half-way decent menu (IMHO) for my website, but I have two problems and I think they might be related, but I'm not sure.

First, the animation slows down pretty noticeably. When the user moves their mouse over a button, I have a movie clip (red text) that expands, blurs, glows, and fades away. As this animation goes (and particularly if I mouse over a second animation) an annoying bit of slowdown occurs. Not a huge issue, but still irritating.

The more aggravating part (to me) is that the animation seems to take a long time to reset. So, if I mouse over once, it plays fine, but then the animation will not play again until it sits at its starting frame for a little while.

Here is a link to the .fla file:
http://www.ryansteiner.net/FLASH/rsdn_menu.fla

...and to the .swf file:
http://www.ryansteiner.net/FLASH/rsdn_menu.swf

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some specs that might be useful in troubleshooting :-):
I'm using Flash 8 on a webpage created on DreamWeaver 8.
I'm on my Laptop with:
AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-37 @ 2GHz
Windows XP
1GB RAM
Testing with Firefox 2.0.0.11

Return to posts index

Sean Hellwig
Re: Button Animations are Laggy and Slow, any suggestions?
on Jan 6, 2008 at 9:56:26 am

Hey Ryan, i sent you an email helping you out.. I also didnt notice until after that you are a Gator!! I was once a SFSU Gator as well.. good ol' Mary Park and Mary Ward Hall.

"I'm in the business of making sh*t happen"

Return to posts index

Ryan Steiner
Re: Button Animations are Laggy and Slow, any suggestions?
on Jan 6, 2008 at 7:05:29 pm

Hey Sean, thanks for the help. Your code seems to work much better than what I had scratched together. I think it makes sense to me how it works, although I'm not sure I could recreate it all by my lonesome :-). Thanks so much. Go Gators!

The other thing that I tried last night before I got your email was to simply lower the frame rate from 60fps to 30fps, which helped with the lag, but your code improves everything on all fronts :-). Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]