FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maintain alpha channel upon export

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Maintain alpha channel upon export
on Dec 29, 2007 at 4:36:09 pm

I have achieved the desired chroma effect I want with an object on screen, though I need to keep the alpha channel permanently. My final destination for the video is on a Flash project, though every time I export from Final Cut, then use another program to create the flv for Flash, the alpha channel is lost and I have a black background with the object. I have checked through the settings in Final Cut Pro to make sure they say I am maintaining the alpha channel upon export, but something is being overlooked. Can anyone give me an overview of the best way to achieve my desired goal?

--Final Goal: Video of an object put into Flash while maintaining the alpha channel so the object looks like part of the Flash picture.

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: Maintain alpha channel upon export
on Dec 30, 2007 at 10:29:29 pm

Using the FLV converter that came with flash is very easy. There is a check box you need to check to 'preserve alpha.' That is how you will maintain the alpha channel within the converted flv.

Return to posts index

Ross Gerbasi
on Jan 2, 2008 at 5:34:16 pm

what are your settings in the FC export and is the alpha channel being preserved in that output?

In other words after you export from FC can you import it back in and lay it over something? is the alpha channel there?

If this is working, what are you using to convert to FLV? and what are those settings?

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Jan 21, 2008 at 3:00:47 pm

I found the solution for my situation, though it brings up another question.

I must first put the video on layer 2 on the timeline, and leave it UN-rendered.

Okay, two questions:
If I render out the video before export, it loses it's alpha channel. Why would that be?

If I add any filters within Final Cut to a clip that is a Motion clip, but on the Final Cut timeline, it also loses the alpha channel.

This forum post has become more of a Final Cut post, but maybe someone else also works with several of these programs.

Thank you for your replies!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved