FORUMS: list search recent posts

Separate URL

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy stewart
Separate URL
on Dec 10, 2007 at 7:29:15 pm

Hello,

We have a Flash website for our company. for each employee i would like to set up a unique URL, so our clients do not have to navigate through the entire site to find someone.

say if http://www.creativecow.com was our website, i would want to make my bio page be: http://www.creativecow.com/jimmy

Can anyone tell me how to do this in Flash and/or if its even possible?

thanks!

J

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
Re: Separate URL
on Dec 10, 2007 at 8:49:03 pm

Hello that's easy!

For http://www.creativecow.com/jimmy create a folder in the HTML bin named Jimmy. Then import the flash into an html page. Name the HTML page index.html. Place the html page into the Jimmy folder. Make sure your flash and images are where they should be. For instance, if the images or flash files are in the images folder upload that too. When you look up http://www.creativecow.com/jimmy you will see the page.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 3:45:09 pm

Thanks! sounds pretty simple. I'll give it a whirl.

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:19:15 pm

hello,

i followed your instructions and i get this message when i type in the unique url: This page requires AC_RunActiveContent.js.

do you know what i am missing?

thanks,

jim

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:25:31 pm

Yes, the AC_RunActiveContent.js is a javaScript that Dreamweaver creates, I believe. You have to find that file and upload it to the server. Then it should work. This happens to me all the time. Let me know if it works.
Good luck!
Chris

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:32:36 pm

hi chris,

thanks again for coaching me here. i found the .js file! i added it to the folder and uploaded it. it doesnt give me the error message anymore...i can access the unique url, but the page is just black.

the unique content folder i made has my .html page, and videos, the index.html page that i contains the flash files for the site, and i renamded it "index.html"

i believe im getting close....

???

j

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:58:11 pm

Jim,

Are you using FLVs for the video? If so make sure that Flash is reading the FLVs as a "relative path" and not an "absolute path." You can look up these two terms in google.

So if your FLV is called Jimmy.flv go to your properties and choose the Paremters panel. Once there make sure that the path is /Jimmy.flv If it's anything else your flash won't see it online because it's looking for the path but can't find it. I suppose you might be able to make it an absolute path and then upload it. If that's the case make sure it's accurate to where it will be placed online. I would stick with the simple relative path.

Also, make sure the paths are accurate when you upload it. If you can't see the Flash that means it's not in the proper folders. Know where they are on your desktop then upload them.

Also, keep the video skin SWFs in the same paths as you have your HTML pages.

I hope I did not confuse you.

Let me know how it goes.

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 5:16:23 pm

im actually using quicktimes. .mov the page as it is has all the same files as the unique page i am making. and it plays fine. so i basically copied all the video and html, plus added the new index page with the flash code in it. but its not seeing it...so im guessing (as usual) that its a file somewhere else that needs to point to this folder.

youre not confusing me...im confusing myself.

so the problem from what you say seems to be in the flash page inside my new named folder.

hmmm....

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 4:49:17 pm

sorry for my ignorance. maybe im not doing this correctly:

"Then import the flash into an html page"

can you explain? i found our company html page written through flash, and i renamed it "index.html" im missing something....because i get the black page. the background of our site is black, but its not seeing any design....

we kind of got into a bind and im doing the website updates for the time being....

ouch!

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 7:25:25 pm

anyone? thoughts? help!

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Dec 11, 2007 at 7:41:21 pm

Hi Jim,

It sounds to me as if you are publishing this flash directly to the HTML from flash. That's fine if that's what you're doing.

Are you saying that once you upload your files to the server you can't see the flash? If that's the case:

1. Make sure your server has the most recent flash plug in.
2. Make sure the flash is uploaded as well as the index.html page.

Make sure that's correct then we can go on from there.

Are you using Dreamweaver? If you are
1. In Dreamweaver go to Insert... Media... Flash. Once there inset the flash file you have created.

What version of Flash are you using?
What version of Dreamweaver are you using, if you're using Dreamweaver.

Remember to upload all the necessary files to your server.

I hope this helps. I'll be here if you need me.

Chris

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 8:06:42 pm

Thanks, Chris. You've been a HUGE help. It's starting to make more and more sense. This is something that really interests (and frustrates me!).

Ok. Im taking over the site management here at work. It was designed in Flash, and I'm not using Dreamweaver at all...only my Mac text editor to adjust HTML. Then, I upload the files using Fetch.

When I make my updates, I fill in the text using HTML, and images using Flash, then I export a SWF file, and upload all into our HTML folder. I also upload the quicktimes, and point the source in the HTML editor.

I created a folder using my name, and added the files you said to, and I uploaded that. and still I get a black page when I type in my url name. It sees something, but not the images. Im sure Im just missing one small step.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Return to posts index

jimmy stewart
on Dec 11, 2007 at 8:40:02 pm

forgot to mention, im using Flash CS3

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Dec 12, 2007 at 6:26:50 pm

Hello Jimmy ,

Any luck with the issue on this thread my friend?

I hope it worked out. Please ask if you have any more questions.

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Dec 12, 2007 at 12:53:52 am

Hi Jimmy,
Please stop apologizing for what you call "ignorance." We all have to start somewhere.

First of all, I would ask your employers to purchase you Dreamweaver CS3. This is an invaluable took for web design. Second, get Adobe Photoshop CS3. Since you already have Flash CS3 you might already have it since they are often sold together as a CS3 Suite.

Look at the source code of where the SWF is embedded. Let's make it easy. Save the SWF in the same directly as where the HTML is. Then upload the index.html and the .swf file in the same directory. See if you can see it after you upload it.

You're right, you're probably missing something simple.

Please upload the source code here so I can take a look at it.

I know you're going to get this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]