FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ridiculous question

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Donnenfield
Ridiculous question
on Oct 9, 2007 at 8:56:23 pm

I just compressed a short movie using On2 Flix Exporter 8 as an .flv file. I moved it to my business machine to upload to my server. But, I can't play the dang thing on my business machine, even after reinstalling Flash 9 Player for Mac, because it can't find the application to open it and play. I try to create a path to it, but I can't find the application, although I find the Flash Player folder with all kinds of stuff in it. Just not the Player. What the heck am I not doing (besides thinking).
Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
Re: Ridiculous question
on Oct 10, 2007 at 2:46:51 am

so you tried to Search your hard drive for the application and that didn't turn it up?

Return to posts index

David Donnenfield
on Oct 10, 2007 at 3:52:14 am

When I searched, I got lots of Flash folders, but no application or actual plug-in.

Return to posts index

thumbslinger
on Oct 11, 2007 at 12:40:32 am

oh, well you know you have to have an actual .swf file to play the flv, right?

When you import an flv into Flash, that fla file generates a swf that loads the flv.

If you don't have Flash on your business machine, you need to transfer the swf file that contains the FLVPlayback component which plays the flv file.

That swf file needs to be in the same folder as the flv (unless you have a specific path to the flv) and then you should be able to just double-click on the swf file and see that play in the Player.

Return to posts index

David Donnenfield
on Oct 11, 2007 at 1:13:02 pm

What the heck is an .swf file? And why am I having to go through all of these obscure operations to play what is supposed to be the most universal multimedia playback format? I mean, if you want to play a QT, a REAL, or a WM piece of media, you just download the player and Voila! It plays. Are you serious that I have to find a hidden file with this .swf extension, then find the right .flv folder and marry them just to play media that really should automatically and seamlessly just play, with the right files finding themselves. Seems primitive on a programming level, no?

Return to posts index

madmac66
on Oct 12, 2007 at 10:26:06 pm

coupla things...FLV is really intended as an internal video format, that is not playable outside of Flash. Second, if you dont know what a SWF is I suggest you go back to Room 101 and read the manual from page 1. Very rudimentary.

you can download VLC, some versions of that supposedly play FLV

also, what I did, is download the demo of Sorenson Squeeze. It installs a FLV Player. The demo is good for a month, but the FLV Player works forever. you can delete Squeeze when done and keep the player.

good luck
mm66

Return to posts index

RossGerbasi
on Oct 25, 2007 at 7:57:24 pm

hehe whats a SWF :) you are in the wrong forum. just kidding.

FLV was not intended to be a desktop video file. It is a web deliverable. So your normal media players like windows media player or quick time, real player will not play a FLV.

Flash Video is really geared towards web based delivery.

but your in luck cause some other people thought that was pretty stupid. If you do a google search for FLV Player. you can come up with a bunch of options.

here are a couple

http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/
http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_standalone_flv_player.html

no programming required, :) but you will need another program to view the FLV. You can find one of these, or you can load the FLV into the flash authoring environment.

goodluck
-ross

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]