FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Ad Captions

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
How to Ad Captions
on Sep 28, 2007 at 2:45:36 pm

I need to add Closed Captions to a Flash Video. This video was taken from a Quicktime movie and converted to flash using Sorenson Spark for Flash. I want to know what the method is for doing this. Do you need 3rd party software?

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: How to Ad Captions
on Sep 29, 2007 at 3:14:57 pm

I've never seen it done this way, but it should be possible to use listener events and display dynamic text at set time. Listener events have never worked for me for even the simplest stuff, so I can't say for definite, but other people get them to work

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Sep 30, 2007 at 12:06:05 pm

I believe Final Cut Pro will allow you to make captions.
Have you thought about making a movie clip for the caption and putting it on the layer above the FLV layer? This might solve half the problem.
I hope this helps.

"Money is the one thing that makes
stupidity legitimate!"
Chris Lupetti 1998

Return to posts index

on Sep 30, 2007 at 12:17:53 pm

Sorry I didn't reply here earlier. The thread seems to have slipped past me unnoticed :)

Anyhoo, if you're using Flash CS3, you are in luck. Flash actually introduces a whole new way to add captions to a video using the FLVPlaybackCaptioning component.

Have a look at this article at

If you're still using Flash 8, there should be a link to another article somewhere in the one I just gave you, that does something similarly in Flash 8.

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

Brent Robertson
on Dec 17, 2008 at 1:11:59 am

Flash 8 skins, Flash CS3 skins and the JW FLV Player support DFXP caption files (make sure you choose a caption skin). The how-to videos are here:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved