FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is flash the tool for this?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Is flash the tool for this?
on Sep 24, 2007 at 9:41:48 pm

Not really a flash programmer here -- but just wondering if my concept is doable via flash and if doable, what would it be called so I can look for it?

This involves a photo gallery for a website. Is it possible for flash to dynamically load the pictures from a folder on a website with the folder full/path/name passed to the script as a parameter?

Fleshed out version of the question.

This is a church website with many content editors. I would like to make it possible so that an editor can create a folder and drop pics into that folder which are all the same dimensions. Then include a flash reference in the article content which would call the particular folder's contents into the script. The editors could then control the content of the gallery by adding or pulling pics from the folder. Finally, I would love for it to look something like photoflow If needed, I can generate whatever code is needed for the flash such as php, javascript, XML, etc.

Is this possible?

Is it available somewhere?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Mark Cain
Sarasota, FL

Mark Cain
Sarasota, FL USA

Return to posts index

Re: Is flash the tool for this?
on Sep 24, 2007 at 10:10:23 pm

Basically, what you're asking is three seperate things:
1) How do I make a slideshow?
2) Can Flash read and load files from a folder?
3) How do I pass variables to flash?

Easy question first... Slideshows... Flash is the tool for slideshows ofcourse, and there are tons of great tutorials available on the web, so I'm sure you'll find one fitting your needs. I myself know very little about slideshows, so I'm not gonna be of much help with that particular part of your application.

Second, Flash can not read the contents of a folder. For that you will have to create a .php file that will create a listing of your directory and then pass those variables along to flash. You're in luck though, because I've written such a script already and I will share it with you :)

This script outputs an XML file with the filename of your photo. The only thing you will need to do (if your working with multiple folders) is create a new XML element called PATH or FOLDER and store the relative or absolute path to the folder in it.

And with that I've also solved your third question. Yes, it is possible to pass variables and parameters to flash. In multiple ways even :) I prefer to use XML.
Below is a file that will process the XML processed by the dirlisting.php file.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Kind regards,

Return to posts index

James Bechdel
on Feb 13, 2008 at 11:33:02 pm

I would like to get your script for slide shows but the link is not working. I have a similar question and that is there are many nice templates but none offer to show verticle, horizontal and any other cropping like square.

"Perhaps there is only one person's voice lacking
for peace to come to the world"
Kurt Kauter, "The Caribou", New Fables, Thus Spoke

Return to posts index

on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:49:50 pm

i am trying to use flashloaded photoflow and tooltip. I cant seem to find answers as to how to get to two to work this i mean i want my 9 images to each have its own tooltip and open to brief bio and click on image again to return to other images to view their info.I am a 'newbie" to all this so i am taking a lot of notes-so with that in mind i dont know much thanks 4 ur time.i wish there was a beginner tutorial.gotoand learn assumes too much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved