FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good place to start?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
c1dumbkid
Good place to start?
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:18:38 am

My main question is what/where is a good method or place to teach yourself flash? Is there a certain book(s) that are very good at teaching someone flash? Should I use "lynda.com" to watch and listen to somebody teach me flash (I am seriously considering going this route)?
I ask this because I have looked to see what books there are on this topic and there appears to be way too many, so which is the right one and where is a good place to start?

About Me:
I have never even opened flash before and have virtually no knowledge of internet stuff like HTML, CSS, and Javascript (the only javascript exp. I have is from using it a little in AE's expressions system)
I am well versed in photoshop and after effects and know illustrator a little bit. And I take projects from beginning to end (shoot, capture, edit, motion graphics, dvd design).

The Situation:
The company I work for is upgrading my computer with Adobe's CS3 video suite. That suite comes with Flash and they said they would really like it if I could learn Flash, then they wouldn't have to rely on the one guy in the building that knows flash to do even the most mundane things, but they'd also like me to become versed in it well enough to take as much creative advantage with it as I can. It's also something that I personally would like to learn to ad to my current abilities.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer this.

Return to posts index

Warren R Sampson
Re: Good place to start?
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:35:39 am

I learned a bunch at Lynda as well as by watching the Adobe Design Center videos. http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

Also http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials/flash

And Lee Brimelow's page at http://www.gotoandlearn.com/download.php

Warren
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

BeckmanDesign
on Sep 18, 2007 at 1:42:00 am

I'm just starting out as well. (coming from design/compositing/3D).
I've found the materials at Learnflash.com to be indispensable. Excellent stuff for someone just starting out. I particularly like the "building websites" module. It really makes sense of how to use actionscript to add essential interactivity. I noticed that the materials that Adobe offers primarily tell you how to use this tool or that tool, or such and such a technique, without really giving you the larger context of where it all fits in. ie: project based tutorials. Lear Flash seems to use a more intuitive approach, with plenty of explanations and repetition. It's not exactly cheap (I went for the complete Flash bundle) but after working with it, it's worth every penny.

-mike

Return to posts index

c1dumbkid
on Sep 19, 2007 at 10:29:19 pm

Thanks for the tips, it's nice to see someone else from the twin cities on here. I'll definitly be looking into all of these. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Chris Lupetti
on Sep 19, 2007 at 11:34:06 pm

Hello,

I am sure there are many good tutorials on Creativecow.com that you can learn from. I used to use Lynda.com and found it very helpful. There is something about watching a person teach you on video that is so helpful. I remember there was a person on creativecow.com that had wonderful video tutorials. His name was Lee and this is his website: http://gotoandlearn.com/ VTC.com is also a good video tutorial website. There are many others such as flashkit.com that come to mind. If you want to learn actionscript look up actionscript.org. All you have to do is search for +flash +tutorials +actionscript in Google and you will find many resources.

As for books, there are many. You can use this creativecow.com to look over the book reviews, as well as Amazon and Barnes and Nobles.

Just remember, Flash is an animation tool and programming tool. The front end is for motion graphics/animation, but the back end is a very powerful Object Oriented Programming language named Actionscript. If you can master both you are on you way to a fun creative career.

"Money is the one thing that makes
stupidity legitimate!"
Chris Lupetti 1998

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]