"waking life" filter?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maryam
"waking life" filter?
on Sep 1, 2007 at 3:02:39 am

Hi
i was wondering does anyone know the filter that was used by "Waking Life"
Director / Writer / Cinematographer, Tommy Pallotta.
I would love to know how the look was achieved.
I think a flash filter was placed on the live action.
M

Return to posts index

Doccie
Re: "waking life" filter?
on Sep 1, 2007 at 6:27:47 am

To my knowledge they wrote their own software for that. It -is- possible by creating a similar effect in Flash, by cutting your video up in frames loading them all in individually. And then using the "Trace Bitmap..." option in the Modify > Bitmap menu. Ofcourse, that will become a hassle if you're dealing with a bigger movie.

A very rudimentary example can be found here.

I believe you will get better results asking this question in the After Effects forum :)

Return to posts index

Doccie
on Sep 1, 2007 at 9:26:25 am

Just a little extra info... the process is called rotoscoping. For more info, check out Wikipedia. The process is also called vectorizing or tracing from time to time. If you like Waking life, be sure to see A scanner darkly as well. (Also from Richard Linklater)

Return to posts index

madmac66
on Sep 5, 2007 at 11:52:19 pm

the software/process developed for waking life (and subsequently scanner darkly) was called rotoshop. it is a very lengthy and time consuming process, somewhat automated by the proprietary software (not available).

Digital anarchy recently released a plug in for after effects called cartooner, it has gotten great reviews, but I have never used it personally.

hth
mm66

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]