FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT replacement in workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armen Grigorian
QT replacement in workflow
on Aug 30, 2007 at 10:14:08 pm

We have a client who has requested that each project we finish for them be converted and uploaded to their ftp as a Flash movie. The QT movies we edit/create are about 2 minutes in length and are created in an Avid edit bay. We can get the QT movie out of the Avid bay with no problem (we do this all the time and compress them every which way for clients). However, this client has provided us with a Flash (.fla) template file to drop each movie in for conversion to a .swf file. The template includes a slated graphic and few other elements that need to stay consistent with every Flash file we create. This procedure needs to be done 5 days per week throughout the entire year, so we need a way to make it as simple as possible for our production coordinators to accomplish without any glitches. My question is... is there a way to replace the QT movie in the assets window similar to how After Effects has a "replace" function that simply swaps out the old QT file with a new QT file that you designate in your hard drive? If not, what is the easiest way to do this kind of swapping of files without touching the layering or timinig of the template's timeline?

Also, the QT movies we export out of our edit bays are in Animation compression. Is there a better compression format to export as in order to smooth out the process when creating the Flash movie later on?

Return to posts index

Doccie
Re: QT replacement in workflow
on Aug 31, 2007 at 7:30:40 am

I'm not -entirely- sure what you are trying to accomplish, but what I would do is this:

First off all, I would export your QT (I'm assuming that's Quicktime right? /me total noob ^^)as an .flv (flash video). Flv and Flash mesh best. :)

Then, go to file > import > import video... (or Flash > import > import video... if you're on a Mac). Choose your video file, hit Next, choose to 'Embed video in SWF and play in timeline', move on to the next screen, uncheck 'Place instance on timeline' and 'Expand timeline if necessary'. After that, hit Next again and if you've exported the .mov as an .flv it should immediately import, if you've didn't, it will ask you to reencode to .flv. When you're done with that, you will have an embedded video file in your library. Now, click on the video that's already on the stage in the template and in the Properties panel you should be able to press a button labeled 'Swap...', which will make it possible for you to swap out the current video for the one that you just imported into your library.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for or if you run into some problems :)

Return to posts index

madmac66
on Sep 5, 2007 at 11:58:54 pm

not having seen the template your client set up for you it is hard to decide which way they are importing the video. You could as stated in previous post, embed by importing FLV. You could use FLV component and attach the movie with a line of code. You could create a new video library item and place that onto the stage.

The easiest way is probably to embed that way all the files stay together, at the expense of doubling your storage (the FLA will be as large as the FLV you import if you embed). Could get to be wasteful over a year.

To create FLVs Flash 8 shipped with the video encoder. Or use Sorenson Squeeze or Episode for better options.

Return to posts index

Armen Grigorian
on Sep 6, 2007 at 12:08:20 am

Thank you for the input and advice!! We ended up importing the video and swapping it with the placed video file in the template. However, both pieces of advice have helped tremendously in understanding the way Flash imports/replaces/handles video files. Thanks again!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]