FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV's stop playing 40's in!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nateboston
FLV's stop playing 40's in!
on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:58:52 pm

Hello fellow grazers...

Alright, so I've just finished re-encoding all the QT's on our company's website to flash video. It was a rather painstaking process, as I'm not a web designer nor a regular flash user! Anyway, I downloaded the 30 day free trial of flash from adobe.com, encoded everything, published everything, and then copy/pasted everything into my existing HTML files. Then I uploaded to the web, and I thought I was done. They all played back, had sound, had navigation, etc. However, as one of my fellow workers just pointed out this AM, the files stop playing at about 40 seconds! If you "nudge" the nav bar a little, they will keep playing, but then you lose sound!

So this is what I'm thinking:

1. The 30 day trial won't let you encode much past 40 seconds

2. The original QT's need to start as fully uncompressed files (these particular ones started as already encoded H.264 QT's, with 32khz Audio and 320X240 frame sizes).

3. My inexperience in such things has caused me to miss some blatantly simple explanation of what went wrong.

Anybody have any ideas? I hate having to go back and re-do all of these files, but if I have to, I want to do it right. Oh yeah, I'm working on a Mac, so I that might factor into this whole thing.

Thank you!
Nate

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
Re: FLV's stop playing 40's in!
on Aug 15, 2007 at 11:54:55 pm

so if I'm understanding you.... you embedded the .flv's into an html page. Are you using Dreamweaver? Not that that matters too much.

I usually make a swf file that is linked to the .flv file and it plays that way. That is probably what you did. As far as 40 seconds playing... things that come to mind: buffering, bandwidth and the one I was thinking about most was... how long is the timeline in the host swf.. if you're doing it this way. Are you embedding the movie or streaming?....

A little random but that's my two cents without knowing more details.

good luck

Return to posts index

nateboston
on Aug 16, 2007 at 12:29:38 pm

Okay don't laugh - I am doing using dreamweaver. My trade I'm an editor, but most recently I opted to build our company website.

So the process goes like this:

1. Design website in Photoshop
2. Export Photoshop image w/slices
3. Import Photoshop image w/slice to Dreamweaver
4. Tweak site until it looks like what I'm looking for
5. Open the trial version of flash (we aren't looking to pay full price for this yet), import a video to the stage, add a background, then publish the html file.
6. Open both my original HTML file from Photoshop and the new flash html file
7. Copy and paste flash code to existing html file
8. Test locally on computer
9. Upload everything to the internet and I'm done

Well I thought I was done, until these things stopped playing at 40 seconds! If I open then locally they stop playing at 40's - so I don't think it's a buffering issue. I'm not sure how to check the timeline in the swf....I honestly don't even know how to check that. I'm making "progressive download" flvs.

Hope that gives you a little more to go on...

Return to posts index

imagineIT
on Aug 16, 2007 at 4:57:46 pm

Hi Nate,

I had that problem yesterday and found the answer. It's an audio thing. The original QT movie has to be encoded at 44.1 Khz audio rate. It's been encoded less than that. It's a known issue with Quick Time Pro's latest version.

The workaround right now is to remake the QT using 44.1 as your audio rate. Then use the Flash Video Encoder and it will come out right.

Should work perfectly, although it's a pain.

Karey Nickel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]