FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple swfs/webpage help

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
somethingmisleading
Multiple swfs/webpage help
on Aug 14, 2007 at 11:36:47 pm

Well first the webpage I am working on http://www.annabihari.com

And just as a notice, this is my first website all in flash. Testing the waters, definately a begginner.
Ok I am sure you will notice the white page that flashes up everytime you click a button. This this is made up of several swf's all with the same buttons and the same background. I could not figure out how to do it all in one timeline, and figured this out in a roundabout way. Works perfect without downloads :) however, the flash is quite annoying. So I was wondering if there is a tutorial or a simple way to make this all in one timeline to avoid the flash's from occuring.

My second question which isnt as important, but I ended up having to put all the swf's in the root of the website as opposed to in the images folder, as only the first swf would load. Any suggestions on clearing that up?

Sorry if I did not provide enough information, I think I covered anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

DavePotts
Re: Multiple swfs/webpage help
on Aug 15, 2007 at 1:03:46 pm

I could be wrong, but loading multiple swf's like that will make it hard to avoid that flash that happens every time the page loads a new one. Here's a link to one of the simplest image gallery tutorials I've found. It should help you do what you want all in one SWF:
http://www.layersmagazine.com/flash-slideshow-image-gallery.html
It's not the best way of doing it, since all of your content will have to be loaded into the workspace, therefore creating a bigger swf file, and forcing you to edit your FLA every time you want to add a new image, but it's a simple introduction that should get you going.

A better way to do this would be to create an image gallery that loads external content dictated by an XML file. It's a bit trickier and involves scripting, but there's a ton of tutorials out there on doing it: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/xml_flash_photogallery.htm

If you've only got one SWF, that should clear up the second issue of having a bunch of them in your site's root.

Hope this helps...

Are you by any chance related to Jim Bihari from Columbus?

Cheers,

Dave Potts
Broadcast Communications
University of North Carolina @ Charlotte

Return to posts index

somethingmisleading
on Aug 15, 2007 at 2:34:44 pm

This is actually for my ex girlfriend, who is his sister. Small world. She does graphics for my videos, and my website. So I am attempting to create a flash site for her.

I actually used that first tutorial to create a slideshow, and have watched a video on how to create an xml one (which seemed easy enough). But I need to create a flash file that Starts off with an animation, then has an enter button. I want that enter button to go to a common background with album pictures in it. You would then click the album pictures to load each individual album. And then as it is now the album would load the pictures and then you can cycle through.

I have been watching tutorials on xml and actionscript and haven't quite figured out how to do this. I also considered doing a preloader, but the tutorials on that seem to only load one individual swf, the one you put it in, not load external ones as well.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 16, 2007 at 12:01:04 am

I would have a main swf and then load the external swfs into a container movieclip inside the main swf. The was a tut on this I think at kirupa.com or actionscript.org

I think that it was called, " Loading external SWFs".

That would help with transitions and the like.

my two cents.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]