FORUMS: list search recent posts

ALPHA!!! DAMN YOU!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nothingboy
ALPHA!!! DAMN YOU!!!
on Aug 14, 2007 at 7:15:55 pm

Okay I know it's physically possible to use alpha channels within flash 8, because i'm pretty sure i did it while importing to After Effects.

But I want to stick a flash movie into an html page via dreamweaver. When i select a zero opacity for my fill and place a block of this behind everything... It doesn't break out the background.

IS it possible? Can i have a flash movie maintain alpha like a PNG file would when placed on my website?

I will return your child unharmed if you answer this question.

Return to posts index

Sher Ali
Re: ALPHA!!! DAMN YOU!!!
on Aug 14, 2007 at 7:42:13 pm

You mean that you want to show a flash movie over html content.

There is a parameter for the embed and object tags called "wmode" just set that to transparent.

Note: This technique is usually used with absolute positioning with css. See the video on this site (Click the "Play Erika" link on the right mid side.):
http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.dspmain

if you are talking about something like that then my answer above holds for this.

----------------
Sher Ali

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 14, 2007 at 8:30:59 pm

Sher is absolutely right with the transparancy. Sher can you tell me loosely how you absolutely postion it with CSS. I am somewhat familiar with CSS and absolute and relative positioning.. what confuses me a littel is how the movie comes on the stage and then goes away. Is the flash movie put into a #div tag and/or is Dreamweaver's timeline being used?

This is a neat idea. I think we're going to see more of this.

cheers,

Return to posts index

Sher Ali
on Aug 14, 2007 at 8:58:01 pm

Positioning is done through divs in html using css.

Following is a very simple example.

style="position: absolute; top: 0px; z-index: 1;width: 908px; height: 500px"

you will apply this style to a div tag and the .swf file can be directly placed insided the opening and closing div tags or use the swfobject/similar embedding method.

--------------
Sher Ali

Return to posts index

nothingboy
on Aug 15, 2007 at 10:51:57 pm

If i tried to figure out what you guys are talking about I'd go insane.

What part of the flash movie becomes transparent? How do you break out the background? There is no transparent background colour that i've found. The only transparency option seems to be in the paint palette for drawing objects.

And once you've added transparency to the thing, what does it matter where it's positioned in the html? I'm so confused. Can't you just use alpha with your movie and then treat your movie like you would otherwise?

Why is alpha so complicated! In the next version of Flash (adobe's) it's much less frustrating.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 15, 2007 at 11:45:55 pm

It's not as bad as you're thinking. Try this out with a simple flash movie. Just Make the stage any size you want and then put some text on it that says " transparent flash" or whatever.

Then when you publish it under the publish settings I think that you need to publish the .swf and the hmtl. There will be a tab for the html settings.... well in there or on that tab there will be a box about 3/4 the way to the bottom that talks about wmode and has the option of windowless transparent or something.

I'm still on flash 8.

Try that on the most basic of movies and then look at the html page that is generated and you can play with the background and change colors or put things behind it to see that it is transparent.

The carousel on this page uses this technique for transparancy.
http://east.laramie1.k12.wy.us/IB/index.html

Let me know if this helps.

sicnerely

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]