FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV stutter problem (even locally)

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jecmgd
FLV stutter problem (even locally)
on Jul 25, 2007 at 2:54:46 pm

I'm trying to create an flv for my site, but I can't get the video to play smoothly once it's in an html page. I've compressed using Flash CS3, On2 VP6 at 700kbps, 30fps, MP3 audio at 128kbps. The video is only 45 seconds and file size is about 5mb. I'm on a Mac dual 2.5Ghz G5, so I don't think it's a CPU issue. The swf plays perfectly smooth locally. But if I play it in the html page, it stutters like the frame rate got messed up, even after it fully downloads and even locally, so it doesn't seem like a buffering problem either.

In Flash I tried just using the FLVplayback component with and without controls. I also tried Sorenson Spark with the same problem. I've tried to view the video in Safari and Firefox on a Mac and IE on a PC. It did seem to play more smoothly on the PC, but still not as it should be.

I'm not very experienced with Flash, so hopefully it's just something simple I don't know about. Anybody know what the issue is? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
Re: FLV stutter problem (even locally)
on Jul 25, 2007 at 10:21:31 pm

Just for kicks... try using a lower data rate for the video and audio...by the way what size is the video?

Shot in the dark... just thought I'd try.

cheers,

Return to posts index

jecmgd
on Jul 31, 2007 at 4:52:35 pm

Thanks for the response, Paul, and sorry for the delay. Yes, I've tried a few different data rates and resolutions, some smaller. I think I started with 400x300 for the size. I think I also tried 320x240 and 480x360. I've seen FLVs online with much higher data rates that look great, so it seems possible. But for now, I'm just going back to the trusty old QuickTime. I'll just lose the nice custom controls in Flash.

Thanks again.

Joel

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Jul 31, 2007 at 5:36:40 pm

Frame rates on the net are sometimes 12 fps. Also, how are you putting the video into flash... are you making a swf that then plays the flv? Double check to make sure the swf frame rate matches that of your movie.

Just an idea

Return to posts index

jecmgd
on Jul 31, 2007 at 5:59:08 pm

I'm just importing a QT into Flash and going through the "wizard" type thing that converts it to FLV and offers to add the playback component. Yes, the frame rates do match - good idea. I could go with a lower frame rate, but I wouldn't want to go below 24 because it's a demo reel - smooth playback is essential. Also, the local swf plays the FLV perfectly smooth - no problems at all. It's only once it goes to HTML, so it seems like the issue has something to do with that? Maybe I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Jul 31, 2007 at 6:02:57 pm

maybe it has to do with the version of quicktime...you said you have a new mac so shouldn't be a problem... but.. .maybe there is... can you take the html page and the swf and flv to another machine...did you say it was a little smoother playback on a pc?

I'm thinking that the browser plugin or something to that effect is not happy with what you're trying to do. Some kind of mismatch in versions.

Again.. just a stab in the dark.

Return to posts index

jecmgd
on Jul 31, 2007 at 6:28:25 pm

Yeah, I tried it on my PC and it played a little more smoothly, but still stuttered a bit - not as smooth as just playing the swf on either machine. Maybe you're right about the browser plug-ins. I'll see if I can upgrade those and see what happens. Thanks again, Paul.

Joel

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 12, 2007 at 6:23:26 am

Did you figure this out?

Just curious.

Return to posts index

imagineIT
on Aug 16, 2007 at 4:52:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have a similar problem.

FLV called from SWF stutters even locally, no matter how I encode it with Flash CS3 Video Encoder. Original file was an MPG.

FLV plays fine from within Adobe Bridge, but not called from the SWF.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

jecmgd
on Aug 16, 2007 at 7:48:04 pm

Unfortunately, I never figured it out, so I just went back to trusty QuickTime.

Sorry for the delay, Paul. I updated to the latest Flash player and still had the same problem. I wasn't sure what else to try.

If anybody figures it out, I'd love to hear. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 16, 2007 at 9:25:00 pm

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. In cases like this I would go back to the bare bones... just a swf in an html and see if that gives you trouble.

I would keep simplifying until I found the culprit. Maybe there are hiccups encoding and conflicts with QT. Just hard to say.

These are the struggles we all secretly figure out and forget.

cheers,

Return to posts index

Paul Fechtmeister
on Aug 16, 2007 at 9:26:40 pm

Here's an idea:

I had that problem yesterday and found the answer. It's an audio thing. The
original QT movie has to be encoded at 44.1 Khz audio rate. It's been encoded
less than that. It's a known issue with Quick Time Pro's latest version.

The workaround right now is to remake the QT using 44.1 as your audio rate.
Then use the Flash Video Encoder and it will come out right.

Should work perfectly, although it's a pain.

Karey Nickel

Return to posts index

imagineIT
on Aug 17, 2007 at 1:43:59 pm

Hi Paul,

Actually that was my post for a different issue.

I finally fixed my stuttering FLV problem. It may be a little different issue for you, but just in case it's the same, I'll post what it was for me.

My FLV was an external file being called from within my SWF via a FLV Video Playback Component in Flash CS3. The default buffer time is .1 seconds as a value on that component. I changed that value to 1 second and all the stuttering went away. I'm sure that was a pretty basic fix, probably shows I'm a newbie, but hey, I finally found it, and the client's happy. :)

The link is: http://www.studentwave.com

Hope this might help.

Karey

Return to posts index

jecmgd
on Aug 17, 2007 at 5:40:25 pm

Thanks for the continued efforts. I tried the buffer change to 1sec and still have the same problem. I also tried the source QT with some different settings prior to encoding with no luck. QuickTime works great on the site, I just don't have the nice custom controls of Flash. Oh well.

Thanks again,

Joel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Elder
on Apr 28, 2008 at 7:15:45 pm

Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm having the same exact problems... Newer G5, flv linked up via NetStream in swf runs great through FlashPlayer, but once it's tested in the final HTML file it gets choppy. I tried the flv component too just to make sure it wasn't NetStream, but it functions the same. I'm thinking it may be something to do with how the Flash is embedded in the HTML. If anyone found a solution it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joel Cheek
on Apr 28, 2008 at 9:15:44 pm

Sorry, Jeremy, I never figured it out. So I just resorted to using a QuickTime clip instead. It wasn't my preference, but I couldn't stand the choppiness for our demo reel. Please let me know if you do figure it out. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------
Joel Cheek
Point of Origin
(818) 392-8735
http://www.pointoforiginmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Elder
on Apr 28, 2008 at 9:24:38 pm

If I figure it out I'll let you know. I don't really expect a reply from Adobe, so hopefully the answer is out there — I've seen a lot of dead-end posts on the subject.

Return to posts index

Joel Cheek
on Apr 28, 2008 at 9:31:13 pm

Thanks and good luck!

Joel Cheek
Point of Origin
(818) 392-8735

Return to posts index

Jeremy Elder
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:52:46 pm

I haven't seen it talked about a lot, but it looks like frame rate really plays a role here. I've had my videos at 30fps with a keyframe every 60, but when i halved it to 15fps, and keyframes every 30 it runs noticeably better. Here are two links that explain it better than I could, but let me know if you notice a difference. (I know the first link is older, but it's still accurate and foundational.)

Article 1
Article 2

Return to posts index

Joel Cheek
on Apr 29, 2008 at 4:09:29 pm

Thanks, Jeremy. When I get a chance I'll try it out.

Joel Cheek
Point of Origin
(818) 392-8735

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
on Aug 5, 2008 at 4:02:03 pm

I'm having the same problem and none of the aforementioned solutions worked. I am using the fscommand("fullscreen","true") to play my swf (exe actually) full screen. I've noticed that if I comment out that code, then the video plays back smooth. Then if you maximize the Flash Player window, the video instantly goes choppy. So how does Youtube do it?

Sam

Return to posts index

gavin burnet
on Nov 18, 2008 at 5:16:35 pm

hi guys, don't know if anyone is still looking but i had the same problem, stuttering flv's even locally. I was loading the flv's into the flv component in cs3.

The ironic thing for me was these flvs were created in flash mx 2004 and all worked fine loading into the flv component in mx 2004, so i knew it was something to do with cs3 settings.

apparently the default buffertime in cs3 is 0.1 (why this should matter when the flv is fully loaded is beyond me)

i used the code below set the buffertime to 2

my_FLVPlybk.bufferTime = 2;

they all work perfectly (2 was good enough)

but heres the original link

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp....

gavin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]