<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danrnw
Question about Encoding Quicktime to Flash
on Jul 10, 2007 at 6:50:49 pm

I'm an FCP editor who needs to make some segments available on a web page
using Flash as the video type. I've never made flash files before, so what
software do I want to buy? Do I buy the Adobe Production Suite CS3, which has
Flash in it? Or is there some other program that's better to take a quicktime
file exported from FCP and make it into Flash?

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

peter nestler
Re: Question about Encoding Quicktime to Flash
on Jul 10, 2007 at 9:01:44 pm

You can buy sorenson squeeze which can encode to flash video (spark & on2vp6), the whole version is about $800 for a mac, but you can pick it up for less if you buy from a distributor (toolfarm I think has a pretty good price). Your other option is to buy flash from Adobe, it comes with a stand-alone video encoder that encodes the video to either spark or on2vp6. There may be other encoders, but depending on your needs either of these will work. One consideration to take into account may be your production needs. The video suite from Adobe has a lot of great programs (photoshop, illustrator, aftereffects, premiere, etc) on top of flash that are great to work with. If you need these programs and would use them I would suggest buying that as it will give you the flash export you need on top of all the other programs. If you only want the encoder then buy sorenson, they have some of the best encoding and you can output to a bunch of formats.

Return to posts index

Danrnw
on Jul 10, 2007 at 10:40:12 pm

Thanks Peter.

Now a question about streaming flash files.
With Quicktime h.264 for instance, I just check the box for "fast start"
when encoding and it's a streamable file for a web page.
Does flash encoding work like this, or do I need some kind of
special server situation to get flash video to be streamable on a web page?

Dan

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jul 11, 2007 at 8:31:54 am

Flash is a bit unlike QT or most other web video formats, in that it integrates very nicely onto web pages but it takes a bit more work to get it there.

Flash offers very versatile and flexible playback - but the person creating the site has to make a series of choices, and either build a little custom video player (not too difficult, very customisable) or choose an off-the-shelf player. It's not just a case of encoding the file, ftp to the site and you're done.

If you're planning to do it all yourself, there's a strong case for investing in Flash and learning. If you're handing over to a web person, you probably want their input on how they'd like the file set up.

Return to posts index

Danrnw
on Jul 11, 2007 at 2:42:02 pm

Thanks Mike.
Since I'm wanting to learn more about web design anyway, I think buying Adobe Flash
makes sense. I guess my question also was, is there a better and/or faster encoding tool
than Adobe's Flash program. Sounds like their may be, but they don't have all the
extra stuff Flash itself has.

Dan

Return to posts index

peter nestler
on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:18:54 pm

Unless you're doing a lot of really high-end stuff that needs precise control over the conversion, don't worry about it and just get Flash. It does a good job and having the tools to build all the tools you'll end up needing is a great thing to have.

Return to posts index

Danrnw
on Jul 11, 2007 at 5:53:07 pm

Thanks.
Love the Cow.

Dan

Return to posts index

vdubplate
on Jul 18, 2007 at 7:41:05 pm

I would recommend getting your hands on Flash if your going to be working on a flash file but, before you but anything try this site. It will convert any file to any format and it works great. Plus, did I mention, it's free?

http://media-convert.com/

JOHN D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]