FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to add sub menus?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kent Beeson
how to add sub menus?
on Apr 18, 2007 at 8:46:58 pm

Been trying to make a flash version of the navigation on our site

Rollover the top horizontal nav = "Products - Company - News - Opps - Tech", I'm trying to make these with their sub menus in my flash file - but have no idea how to do it...I've got as far as making a good copy of the nav, rolling over the 5 main headings but In Flash Prof 8, how do I make the sub menus "stay on" when I roll out of the main heading text, down to select its sub heading? And then how do I highlight the sub heading when hover, and on click it goes to the correct page? Lots of questions...

Thanks very much

Return to posts index

Re: how to add sub menus?
on May 16, 2007 at 12:22:38 am

Man, I just got done doing something like this and it was WAY more involved than I anticipated. MoviClips and variablesfloating around all over the place. The trick is keeping the NAV active while rolling off onto the SUBNAV. I would like to find a real elegant solution to this too.

For what it is worth take a look at the file I posted here, if you can figure out. All th propietary client stuff has beens tripped so it will look and function odd, but the nav works enough for you to take a look.

Return to posts index

kent beeson
Re: how to add sub menus?
on May 16, 2007 at 12:51:45 am

Thanks for the reply - yes this was infinitely more complex than it should've been.

May I gently say and point out to all software companies out there...truly the web/flash is a couple of decades behind in user friendliness from a designers point of view, than say video and how a person makes transitions, layering, complex anything, etc in that medium. We should be able to right click, choose a few things, and move on to more designing...This code stuff must and will disappear but it will be along time perhaps. Tools should not get in the way but be an extension of the mind of the designer, not the programmer/mathematician. If this world is still around in a few years time, people will say "You mean you had to do THAT back then in order to do such and such."

Yes, I'm frustrated...of course I'm a video editor by profession!

BUT I found a great horizontal nav I totally customized from iStockphoto, which I can highly recommend for great files at dirt cheap prices.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved