FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Flash do this? - Curriculum Developer

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrentC
Can Flash do this? - Curriculum Developer
on Feb 27, 2007 at 2:06:21 am

I'm not a current Flash user, but I'm looking at becoming one. I have a client who needs an interactive application developed for a website, and I'm trying to figure out if Flash is the tool that will do the job.

They're trying to create a curriculum developer that teachers can use to make a class schedule. For instance, the user might select "Games" as one of their schedule segments. The next column would then load a list of all available games. When they select one, the instructions for that game are loaded into the page. The client would also like to have a time requirement assigned to each activity that shows when they select it.

Is this possible with Flash, or should I be looking at another program? How intensive is this going to be?

Thanks,

Brent
Brentwood Video Productions
brentwoodvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Can Flash do this? - Curriculum Developer
on Feb 27, 2007 at 12:21:42 pm

If you do not want to let the users store the results and keep them, then this would be possible in Flash alone, but would be a significant challenge for a newcomer with (I assume?) no programming background.

If you want the users to be able to store their choices, maybe come back and mod them another day, then you'll need a database and the ability to connect up to it - possible from Flash, but another level on.

Of course you don't need Flash to do this - you could do it with a database back end e.g. MySQL and some programming, probably in PHP and perhaps with some Javascript. Flash would help you animate the results and make them look prettier, though.

If you've never touched Flash (or html /css / javascript) / PHP / MySQL (or similar), you probably need to hire someone who knows the technologies involved for this.

Return to posts index

BrentC
Re: Can Flash do this? - Curriculum Developer
on Feb 28, 2007 at 7:42:49 pm

I do have experience with PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS. Flash is the new element in the equation, but like you say, I think I can make it prettier with flash than a standard HTML layout. And I may end up hiring someone to do it after all... right now I'm just trying to figure out which tools are going to do the job. I saw an interesting tutorial here on the COW about pulling data from MySQL to work in Flash. I may have to go through that and see if I can adapt it for this application.

Thanks for the input.

Brent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]