FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV and cue point help needed!!!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FLV and cue point help needed!!!
on Feb 20, 2007 at 10:11:35 pm

I'm building a Flash application that will use an FLV video of a presenter speaking, while a movie clip displays slides regarding to the presenter's speech. I want the user to be able to seek to pre-determined points in the video (navigation cue points). Those same cue points will also trigger the movie clip to display whichever slide is appropriate (Actionscript cue opints). So I need 2 sets of cue points, 1 set for seeking, and one set for triggering the slides. The first set, for seeking, I import from a text file (this is because I am receiving a list of timecodes in Xcel, and simply outputting a formatted text file that Flash can read). The second set of cue points I manually add with the FLVPlayback Component Inspector.

Here's all my code on the first frame of the movie:

cparray = new Array();
slide = 1;

//Handler for loading data file
mydata = new LoadVars();
mydata.onLoad = function(success) {
if (success) {
i = 1;
while (this["cp"+i] != undefined) {
} else {
trace("Error loading cue point data");

//Listens for cuePoint events, then executes nested block of code
var listenerObject:Object = new Object();
listenerObject.cuePoint = function(eventObject:Object):Void {
//trace("cue point reached at: " +;
vid.addEventListener("cuePoint", listenerObject);

//Define function to go from one slide to the next
function slideChange() {
holder.loadMovie("slides/Slide" + slide + ".gif");

//Define seeking function that is called from buttons
function vidseek(buttonNum) {
holder.loadMovie("slides/Slide" + buttonNum + ".gif");
slide = buttonNum + 1;
buttonNum -= 1;[buttonNum]);

button1.onPress = function() {
button2.onPress = function() {
button3.onPress = function() {
button4.onPress = function() {
button5.onPress = function() {
button6.onPress = function() {
button7.onPress = function() {
button8.onPress = function() {
button9.onPress = function() {
button10.onPress = function() {
button11.onPress = function() {
button12.onPress = function() {
button13.onPress = function() {
button14.onPress = function() {
button15.onPress = function() {

Basically, my buttons all have instances of button1, button2, button3, etc. My video's instance name is "vid" and my slide holder movie clip's instance name is "holder".

My "timecodes.txt" file looks like this (these are just test timecodes for now, but formatted into seconds, which the seek function can use):

Ok so here's what's happening. The video begins playing and everything is dandy. The AS cue points trigger the next slide to load when the above time codes are reached. When the user clicks on one of the buttons, the video seeks to the above timecode, and the slide is loaded that matches that specific point in time as well. Only a few buttons do not work correctly. It seems that the video isn't seeking to 7 seconds but is instead seeking to 70 seconds. The next button should seek to 14 seconds but instead seeks to 140 seconds. It seems that most of the buttons seek to a point that is times 10 of the original cue point value (ex. 21*10=210). I obviously do not have any calculation like that in my code, and I am hesitant to add a "divided by 10" calculation, as it may cause errors with other numbers. The test video I'm using is only 400 seconds long so any button that is to seek to 40 seconds or higher (400 or higher when multiplied by 10) works correctly. It's just the timecodes that are within the video's length.

Any thoughts on why this is happening, where this goof is coming from? I don't even know where to start as far as troubleshooting it. Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I give as much info as possible so I can get this fixed!!! Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

aneesh anand
Re: FLV and cue point help needed!!!
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:25:21 am

hi blackhawk
I'm also working on a similar project now... and I'm desperately in need of help. Could you please advise me how to do it?
I want to develop an editor and application exactly like
and I'm planning to do it in AS2, with Flash. Will that do?

Also it will be of great help if you could send me the application you have developed .. (specified here) with source code.. May be I can experiment with that base, and can build up the new one!..
Of course I am happy to share it with you, if you dont mind

Thanks in advance
Aneesh Anand

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved