FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buffer Time definiation

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Hahin
Buffer Time definiation
on Feb 16, 2007 at 10:57:59 pm

I am wondering what specifically is being determined if one sets an FLV buffer time to a number.

For an example, let's say I go into the parameters of the flv component and set it to 8. Does this cause the
buffer to buffer through 8 seconds worth of the FLV, then begin playing. Or does it buffer on the users machie for 8 seconds,
then begin playing the flv regardless of how data has actually been downloaded by the user.

Also, I was wondering if the buffering begins when the timeline hits the first frame of the flv component on the timeline, or at the initial download
of the entire swf.

Ultimately, I am trying to create a preloader animation for let's say 8 seconds worth of buffering time before the flv actually begins. But it ambiguous in the help menu on how to actually control the buffer time of a progressively loading FLV.

How have other people on the cow actually gone about solving this.

Thanks in advance,
Terry

Return to posts index

grafxflow
Re: Buffer Time definiation
on Feb 17, 2007 at 11:52:17 pm

Hi Terry,

The term buffering means that it waits until that much of the streaming flv is downloaded into the browser cache before playing. If setting the flv parameters then 8 = 8 seconds.

Create a movie clip (preloader animation) and place it on frame1/layer 1. Then place your flv component on frame1/layer2. Add your bytesloaded actionscript on frame 1 and when the 8 seconds are reached make the movie clip on level 1 invisible.

movie1._visible = false;

grafxflow

Return to posts index

Sher Ali
on Feb 20, 2007 at 7:47:29 am

For this particular situation, use NetStream.bufferTime and NetStream.bufferLength to preload the .flv file upto 8 seconds and show a preloader, once you .flv file has been loaded for 8 seconds hide the preloader and show the video.

follow the tutorials on:
htpp://www.gotoandlearn.com

for building preloaders.

Note:
NetStream.bufferTime means number seconds assigned to the buffer, which is same as getBytesTotal
NetStream.bufferLength means number seconds currently in the buffer, which is same as getBytesLoaded

-------------------
Sher Ali
http://www.webeyestudio.com

Return to posts index

Sher Ali
on Feb 20, 2007 at 7:48:49 am

sorry typo:
the correct link is:
http://www.gotoandlearn.com

---------------------
Sher Ali
http://www.webeyestudio.com

Return to posts index

Terry Hahin
on Feb 21, 2007 at 7:44:13 pm

Thanks for all your help guys.

We tried the method that graphics flow suggested and it worked, but there was a half or so second overlap where the preloader continued and the LV started up. Have you found this before GrafxFlow (by the way, nice work on your website!)?

I'll check out these tutorials, thanks Sher.

thanks again,
Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]