FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash 8 not responding to changes

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Gillet
Flash 8 not responding to changes
on Dec 24, 2006 at 3:55:04 am

Hi,

I'm a newbie to flash and I'm trying to create my first major movie with photos and linked videos, but as I go through the learning process I've discovered that Flash 8 has not been acting the way it should or maybe it does and I'm doing something wrong.

My first case was after I built my movie and tested it. I decided I needed a preloader. I then moved all my starting keyframes to frame 2. I built my preloader which consisted of vector text and a progress bar it showed the frame as having 650k. I spent all day trying to figure out why. I wound up starting over and building the preloader 1st. The frame now read 35k then copied all my other pieces into the new move and everything worked fine.

My next case is after I've put a simple action script on a button such as:
on (rollOver) {
gotoAndStop(8);
}

ThenI changed it to a diff frame triedthe test movie and even publish to see if movie acts accordingly and there is no change. I even deleted the script and again no change. It still acts as if it's playing the script from above.

Is this normal? It's driving me crazy and I really don't want to have to try and rebuild this whole thing again. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Return to posts index

Matt Klundt
Re: Flash 8 not responding to changes
on Dec 27, 2006 at 7:33:29 pm

I don't understand what would make your frame have so much data unless there was a non-blank keyframe on that first frame (other than the text and loader bar). I've seen other Flash designers include large bitmap backgrounds on their preloader, which is bad design as it takes more time for the preloader to even show up.

For your button, try using:

_root.gotoAndStop(8);

Flash is probably trying to go to frame 8 of the button you placed your code on, instead of the intended main timeline.

Matt
--------------------
http://www.mcquillendesign.com
http://www.mattfoxgames.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]