FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash Buttons & Hotspots For Dummies!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Algorithm
Flash Buttons & Hotspots For Dummies!
on Nov 15, 2006 at 5:01:57 pm

Hi there Creative Cow,

I am working on a flash project, and I am stuck. I'm sure what i'm trying to do is super basic, but I can't figure it out. I have a number of imported quicktime movie clips, which I've joined end to end into one long flash file. Based on what the user does I simply want to be able to jump around within the overall sequence in terms of what's playing when.

What i want to be able to do is 3 things...

1. Set any part of the movie to go to a specific frame and keep looping until the user does something (a rollover or a click). This will happen in multiple places in the movie. For example, when the movie hits frame 100 i want it to be able to go back to frame 80 and keep looping these 20 frames until the user does something.

2. Create 'hotspots' whereby the user mouses over a part of the movie and it goes to a specific frame and keeps playing. I know i need to be able to 'overlay' an area on top of the movie, but I dont know how to do this.

3. Create 'clickable hotspots' to make certain parts of the screen clickable to go to certain frames. Same thing in terms of 'overalying' this area.

Can you please help me out here and explain it so that I can get this working? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Matt Klundt
Re: Flash Buttons & Hotspots For Dummies!
on Nov 16, 2006 at 3:06:57 pm

I would suggest doing all of this in three layers: "Actions", "Overlays", and "Video" (all of which you would need to create and label in the timeline). This way you can easily arrange and understand where things in your movie are.

1. Create a keyframe on a layer (I usually have a separate "actions" layer for this) with the actionscript:

gotoAndPlay(50);

Of course replace 50 with whatever frame you really need to be played next. Put this code on keyframes wherever needed, this will more than likely need to be on the frame before a new video starts.

2. Create a MovieClip with the contents (box, circle, etc) having an alpha of 0. Label the MovieClip on the stage in the Properties inspector. Let's assume you named it "myMc". On a keyframe in the same frame as the MovieClip first appears (I'd place this keyframe on the "actions" layer), use this actionscript:

myMc.onRollOver = function() {
    this._parent.gotoAndPlay(80);
}

Once again, the number 80 can be replaced with whatever number of your choosing.

3. Similar to number 2, change the actionscript for the MovieClip to this:

myMc.onRelease = function() {
    this._parent.gotoAndPlay(20);
}

Matt
--------------------
http://www.mcquillendesign.com
http://www.mattfoxgames.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]