FORUMS: list search recent posts

A business Question about a flash project

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
A business Question about a flash project
on Sep 7, 2006 at 4:41:03 pm

I posted this on the BIz Forum as well but thought I might doubble post...

I am bidding a project to produced a flash based software demo. I suspect that the fee for the project will be somewhere between $10k and $15K.

Typically when we do a project like this we give them the finished flash animation only. If they want to modify the project at sometime in the future, they have to come back to us and we charge a reasonable fee for our efforts. Most clients understand and respect that they are paying for the finished product and not the blueprint of how the product was created.

However, this particular client is interested in the original authoring files and is willing to pay for them - over and above the cost of the production.

I don't know what a reasonable fee would be to give them the authoring files. Does anybody have any practicle advise? Been there-done that?

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: A business Question about a flash project
on Sep 8, 2006 at 8:26:29 am

From my point of view, I try not to give out files, however seeing as a special request has been made and they are willingto pay...

Basically, in all likelyhood the only loss you'll make by giving over the FLAs is any update fees. So I'd factor in two-three years' worth of update fees.

Secondly, I'd check whether the client expects you to talk them through the code (or provide an instruction booklet), and if they expect the code to be commented. I'm guessing their biggest fear is that you go out of business or move and they can't get their site updated.

There's an outside chance that they think they can start producing their own websites or others based on your FLA. I doubt they'd succeed, so the chances that you'd lose other business are slim, but you could factor that into your estimate too.

In short, if they are willing to pay for the FLA, it is most likely for their peace of mind, and you may as well take the money. I'd draw their attention to the design ownership clause of the contract too.

Graham

http://www.quinceweb.com - web design
--------
http://www.shiveringcactus.bravehost.com - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]