FORUMS: list search recent posts

.flv loading problem - see link to my site

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duffbeer911
.flv loading problem - see link to my site
on Jun 20, 2006 at 10:27:39 pm

hi guys - I posted a similar thread on a different community website but still am unsure what to do. I have now uploaded a draft of what I am trying to do. If you have a minute to check out the site that would be great. Basically you'll see I have these videos of a guy talking and when he talks about certain things links and animations appear on the screen. Currently the .flv files are progressive download and just start playing as soon as you enter the frame. The animations are just timed to run next to the video (assuming it doesn;t buffer!)

http://www.bearcage.com.au/aec/

it works great here - but maybe because the files are caches and we are on high speed broadband. At home on my superslow iBurst the video is very bad. Firstly, is there a way to preload the .flv's at the splash page? i don't think so....but i hope....

maybe I can set it up to not start anything until it reaches a certain buffer? and that buffer could be almost as long as the clip? maybe I should use cue points to trigger the animations (like the numbers coming on in the 3rd screen)?
I've looked through the Help files and some tutorials but they are extremely confusing to me - I'm happy to work through it, but I just don't want to waste days of following one method to find I'm on completely the wrong track.......

thanks in advance..

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: .flv loading problem - see link to my site
on Jun 21, 2006 at 12:40:45 am

You can certainly set up a buffer to buffer the video clip, in fact you always should when you do video over the web. As for how to do it it depends on how you're playing your video. Are you using the NetStream code and a custom player or are you using the FLVPlayback component?

It sounds to me like you're running timeline animation along with the progressive download, which is just asking for things to get out of sync. You should look into using cue points to trigger your other events rather than trusting that the timeline will stay in sync with the stream.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
Re: .flv loading problem - see link to my site
on Jun 21, 2006 at 3:14:25 am

hi - yeah I;m using netstream code (should I be?), but the only custom button I have is the replay one that seeks frame 0 of the .flv - yeah, I am running timeline animation alongside the video, that is what I'm trying to fix.....but I don't want the video to buffer half way through, I'd rather the viewer had to wait for the entire thing to download first...... so I should set a buffer length to the same length (or nearly) as the clip? then set the animations to start with the video start playing? then have some trigger points throughout the video to keep it all together?

thanks for your help -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]