FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash for web question

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
leemce
Flash for web question
on Jun 8, 2006 at 9:50:09 pm

I don't actually even qualify as a Flash newbie. I'm a producer/editor who usually compresses video into QT or .wmv but I'd like to put some Flash video samples on my website. I have Sorenson Squeeze for Flash and my question is whether I need to create .swf files of .flv files. I've done a search on this forum and elsewhere and it sounds as though either would work so I'm not sure how to make that decision. Does anyone here have advice for this almost-a-newbie on this question? Also, any advice on data rates?

By the way, these videos would probably be 320x240 and they run about 1-2 minutes in length each. I will ask my website guy to greate a gallery of thumbnails, on which website visitors would click to play the individual demos.

Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: Flash for web question
on Jun 8, 2006 at 11:51:37 pm

I would suggest for your videos that you should create FLVs, SWFs are OK for very short clips, but they arent the best for longer clips. FLVs have the capability of being "progressively downloaded" which is sort of a pseudo-streaming, so the file doesn't have to be completely downloaded to begin playing.

The only advantage SWFs would have over FLVs is the SWF can be put right into an HTML document and it will work, whereas the FLVs will have to be run through a SWF player application, but Lee Brimelow has and excellent series of tutorials right here on the Cow that explains how to make a custom video player application in Flash, and depending on how deep you want to dive in, he'll show you how to make dynamic scroll bars and a scrubber and the works.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Flash for web question
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:43:40 am

I'd second the flv recommendation!

Within flv, On2's VP6 codec looks great, but is demanding - users with fast computers see great stuff for low bandwidths, but there are reports that slower computers sometimes choke and stutter a bit on complex VP6 scenes.

At least one regular user on here has reported shifting back to Sorenson compression because of user feedback and jumpy playback with VP6. Which is a shame!

Return to posts index

leemce
Thanks. One more?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 3:48:05 pm

Thanks lajoiet & Mike. I appreciate you taking the time.

.flv seems to be the way to go. I'll start work on that...and I'll dig into those tutorials. If you have time for an extension of my question:

Does the streaming nature of .flv allow me to go with a larger file size and a larger screen image? I had been planning on 320x240. But if I could go to 480x360 and still maintain good image resolution and playability, that would be nice. Is that feasible for video in Flash? What is the accepted wisdom about a good data rate for Flash video on the web?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: Thanks. One more?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 6:03:22 pm

I'd say the datarate is entirely dependent on 2 things:

1. Your target audience, since it will be their download connection that the FLVs will need to go through for them to see it. If you're dealing with tech savy or coroprate users who you can rely on having broadband type speeds, then you can make your FLVs pretty high quality.

2. Your Server's ability to handle the traffic you expect. If you're going to post them on your home Comcast account, don't expect 30 people to be able to simultaneously be downloading your FLV and viewing it. The connection isn't that good. But if you've got a decent web server that can handle the bandwith x the number of concurrent users you can expect to have, you will do fine.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
leemce
Re: Thanks. One more?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 6:17:55 pm

Hi Todd,

I use a professionally-hosted account and the site viewers are pretty much all corporate. So your advice was great. I know what direction I'm heading now.

Thanks again for the time.

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]