simple question

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
mr_gfx
simple question
on Jun 1, 2006 at 4:21:52 pm

i am new to flash.
i noticed that the sample flash movies that come in Flash 6 are really small. Barely over 20kb.

i started to make a flash movie that contains graphics i imported from Photoshop. i made 2 scenes. 1 that contains flash text and 2 flash squares. the other scene contained a text block, square picture, and rectangle graphics from photoshop.

the scene sizes are 600x400.

when i exported the flash movie, it was 256kb.

i am wondering if this is a normal size for a flash movie or if i am already too big? because i plan on having multiple scenese, about 20 in total. And if they are the exact same, i imagine my file size would be 20 x 256kb.

What are your normal file size ranges for your complicated flash movies? should i rethink my project because it seems like it is going to be too big for an internet user to use or am i fine?

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: simple question
on Jun 1, 2006 at 5:43:12 pm

Well, if you're creating text and vector type artwork in photoshop, you are going to have larger files. Flash is more than capable in handling text and drawing objects like squares, circles, stars, or anything else you can figure out how to draw, as well as bringing in vecor artwork from programs like Illustrator & Freehand. Vector art will (usually) save significant amounts in file sizes over bitmap type art that you would export from photoshop.

I like to keep a lot of my content loaded dynamically, so the vast majority of my projects end up in the 3kb-300kb range, depending on how much code is in them (some projects are almost entirely code) and how much design is done. Here's an example. This scrolling image gallery:

http://home.comcast.net/~tlajoie/bognoho/bog.html

is only 11KB for the entire application. All the thumbnails and larger images are loaded dynamically. But I decided that I wanted the background image to load with the file, as sometimes it was delayed while the thumbnails were in the process of loading, so I put the background image into the flash file and it is now just under 300KB, which is significantly larger, but not unreasonably.

Outside of using a lot of bitmap data (photos or other visuals that cannot be made inside Flash) I have very little trouble keeping things for the most part under 100KB, and nearly everything I do is at at least 600x800 but mostly 1024x768.

I have also in the past created applciations that were distributed on CD-ROMs where I did bring a lot of bitmap and audio data into the Flash file. These have run in the 5-15 MB range, but since they were distributed on CD-ROM, download time was not a problem and they ran fine.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 1, 2006 at 6:30:39 pm

so what you are saying is that you could 1GB of images and videos for the flash file, but your flash movie is only a few KB because those 1GB of images and video are not placed inside the movie. They are only called on when needed?

is that correct?

if so, does that mean if i loaded this kind of flash movie onto a website, i would have to upload all 1GB of images and videos to the web server as well so that the flash movie knows where to pull them from when needed?

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
lajoiet
on Jun 1, 2006 at 9:27:01 pm

Yes, the images in the gallery I posted are hosted on http://www.flickr.com, while the swf is on my home ISP's server in the pittifully small amount of space they give me.

>Todd

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 1, 2006 at 10:31:22 pm

so how are you doing that in a simple sense? somehow useing the LOADMOVIE script?

Return to posts index

lajoiet
on Jun 2, 2006 at 12:16:37 pm

I'm actually using the MovieClipLoader Class to load the large images in. I used a simple loadMovie for the thumbnails in an XML loop, but the large images use the MovieClipLoaded Class which allows you to access the progress of the file transfer (what gives you the percentage display) and run code after the download is complete (what resizes the images after they load)

>Todd

Return to posts index

mr_gfx
on Jun 2, 2006 at 3:08:51 pm

thanks for you help.
i have one last question. when i am creating a movie and do the loadmovie command, i am referencing it from my flash folder i created for the project. does that mean when i upload my files the flash movie will automaticaly know where to get the file or do i have to then change it in the code to http://www.url.com/flashfolder.filename.swf

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
lajoiet
on Jun 2, 2006 at 8:44:20 pm

You can do it with either relative or absolute paths. A relative path would be one where you had a folder that had your HTML and Flash SWF in it, and (for example) and "images" folder. Inside the "images" folder would be all of your images. You could then reference them from Flash as "images/image01.jpg" because that's where they are RELATIVE to the Flash/HTML file. Then if you put that whole folder (the one with your HTML, FLash file, and "images" subfolder) on the web, in one location it will still find the images because they have not moved RELATIVE to where the Flash/HTML file is.

If you want to load them in a different location than the Flash/HTML files, like on a free image service like flickr.com, then you should code them for the absolute address ( like "http://static.flickr.com/51/141335179_250da4f7c5.jpg")

>Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]