FORUMS: list search recent posts

VP6 pro

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Galvano
VP6 pro
on May 26, 2006 at 5:48:37 pm

I've been using Sorenson Squeeze v3 for 3 years now.
Our production company has recently finished a new film and we have a massive amount of media that we are preparing for the web.

I've used Squeeze to encode QT and Flash for the web. More recently, I've stopped using Squeeze for QT and began using h.264 output from Apple Compressor.

We have a very video-rich Flash site in the works, so I decided to check out just see see the latest and greatest. the new vp6 pro seems interesting and in a comparison (side-by-side with Spark Pro) .swf, the results were amazingly good. Is there any downside - such as Flash 8 compatibility for end-users (meaning how new and how many end-users have upgraded to 8)?

Also I've just learned of on2 Flix Pro. Should I get the Sorenson version or the On2??
Anything else I should know?
Is there any downside to getting the Flix Pro Exporter?

Return to posts index

Steven Galvano
Re: VP6 pro
on May 26, 2006 at 5:50:01 pm

although VP6 seems great and virtually eliminates all compression blocking, I noticed that the much detial is lost when compared to Spark Pro.
Is this true?

Return to posts index

Re: VP6 pro
on May 30, 2006 at 5:01:42 am

I guess it depends on what the source is and what affects the message and mood. Eric Johnson is a guitar player who swears he can hear a difference in gold-tipped guitar cables versus chrome-tipped.

Anyway, the FLV format streams just wonderfully without the high-cost of dedicated stream services and the quality I've seen is as good as you could expect for internet delivery.

There are fine lines to be drawn I suppose, but I always take an uncompressed source and go straight to flv via the new flash 8 encoder. I was using the plug-in for After Effects which is the same thing but the included encoder allows more options like setting cue points within the file.

I'd try a minute or two of straight conversion and see the results before making a purchase.

Check out and watch one of the episods of Alias/Lost etc. They're using a streaming server and a proprietary player, but it's a flv file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved