FORUMS: list search recent posts

SWF plays without Flash Player installed

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
SWF plays without Flash Player installed
on Apr 21, 2006 at 6:46:23 pm

OK...I create a simple SWF FLV player using the FLVPlayback component. I copy the SWF and referenced FLV to a pc that has had Flash Player uninstalled with Flash's Uninstall utility. I confirmed that it was uninstalled by going to a site with Flash, and it doesn't play. However, when I double-click on the SWF, it plays in Flash Player 8.

Since this FLV Player will play locally from a CD via Director, would this mean that if the end user doesn't have Flash Player installed...or an earlier version, that there wont be a problem? Does an SWF include Flash Player inside it?

Steve Brame
DoYouStream.com

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: SWF plays without Flash Player installed
on Apr 21, 2006 at 11:06:14 pm

The Flash Uninstall utility may have uninstalled the browser plugin, but left the Flash Player application on the hard drive that runs when you double click on the SWF (this is a different application than the one that allows flash content on web pages.)

I'm also assuming that you have SWF files and not projector (.exe) files. The projector files have the Flash Player built into them and they WILL run on a machine that does not have any version of Flash Player or Plugin installed.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Apr 22, 2006 at 2:16:46 am

Hmmm...

Wonder why the Uninstall Utility left the player intact? I checked and it's not showing up in my list of installed apps in Control Panel, and it was there prior to running the Uninstall Utility.

If this is true, wonder how to strip my machine of all player versions? I need to test what will happen if I encounter a machine that has no player installed..which is quite common in the corporate world.

Steve Brame
DoYouStream.com

Return to posts index

GeoffT
on Apr 22, 2006 at 4:26:09 am

Go to this link. You will find all the major versions of the player and a link to instructions on uninstalling players. I uninstall and re-install players all the time to test versions.

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266

Geoff

"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know."

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Apr 22, 2006 at 11:07:51 am

If you're builing an executable in Director, then aren't you leaving it to Director and not any stand-alone Flash player to handle local playback ..?

If you wanted local playback direct from your Flash output, of course in your Flash Publish Settings you could publish a Windows projector / .exe - though through Director you're not going to need it - or even publish to html and arrange to launch the html file ... but you knew that ;>)!

On the local playback of .swf: the plug in only works with browsers, so if you wanted to simulate no-plug-in, you could drag and drop the swf onto an open browser. Isn't the Flash player that is opening the swfs on your system installed with your Flash IDE installation - which you probably don't want to be regularly uninstalling ... so could you test on a Win system without Flash installed ..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]