FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash to provide direction for HTML

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dikser
Flash to provide direction for HTML
on Apr 20, 2006 at 11:04:15 am

Hello all,
I'm trying to create a swf button that contains code that will check if a particular website is open. If it finds that it is, it should open a particular page of the same site and if not, it will open it to a particular page.
My problem is that I'm jumping to web pages from an interactive DVD file but every time the DVD opens a page, the other pages remain open so I'm looking for a means to check first if a page is open before opening a new one, i.e. so I dont have multiple pages of the same site open, if that makes sense?
Sorry, I'm a baby with flash but thought it might be a way to go about getting where I need to go.
All advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Nick.
Dublin.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Flash to provide direction for HTML
on Apr 20, 2006 at 7:02:39 pm

If you set a target in the link address (e.g. target="_myTarget", after the url, before closing the angle bracket), and use the same target for your multiple page calls, will you not find the default browser loads all the calls into the same (target) browser window ..?

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Is getURL working correctly in IE for you..?
on Apr 21, 2006 at 9:01:17 pm

# So I felt I should maybe test this, and on Windows I'm getting functioning as expected in Firefox and Navigator - named windows are correctly targeted from the Flash player.

But with IE 6, the target name is ignored.

Anyone else with experience of this?

I used something close to this to test:

var web1="http://www.creativecow.net";
var web2="http://www.google.com";
_root.myButtInst.onRelease = function() {
getURL(web1,"mynew");
_root.myButtInst._x+=10;
}
_root.myButtInst2.onRelease = function() {
getURL(web2,"mynew");

}

Macromedia's online help includes ..

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12791

Return to posts index

GeoffT
Re: Is getURL working correctly in IE for you..?
on Apr 22, 2006 at 4:34:44 am

Yes! I had this same issue earlier in the year and ended up building the site another way - without frames (assuming that is what you meant by "targeting").

Geoff

"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know."

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Apr 22, 2006 at 9:37:33 am

Thanks for the input, Geoff.

On this occasion I was using "target" to try to target a specific external browser window, rather than to target frames (which I think are perhaps on their way out now? Though have you seen the dummy FlexStore shop, which gets a best-of-frames feel another way..?)

Targeting specific browser windows appears to work fine in html on Windows in IE, Firefox and Communicator, but for reasons I haven't figured out when trying the same targeting via Flash, getURL and the Flash player, IE does not properly use the desired target instance of the browser.

I guess I need to check this on multiple Windows set-ups to ensure it's not some quirk on this system or the security options I have set in IE ... that would be strange, though, given that IE does respect targets from html tags...

I'm wondering whether there's some browser-based variation in the Flash player implementation of interaction with various browsers / host systems ...???

Further info / thoughts / advice welcome!

Return to posts index

Dikser
on Apr 22, 2006 at 5:35:36 pm

Thanks for the input and especially to mike for going to the trouble of testing. Strangely I'm having some success with Safari but not Firefox. I have to use frames as one frame is pretty much a recepticle for other peoples HTML so I need a place to basically cut and paste HTML to.
I'll post back again if I come up with anything new.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]