FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie question, delivering Flash video.

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Steinberg
Newbie question, delivering Flash video.
on Apr 7, 2006 at 8:28:30 am

Greetings,

My background is in TV/video production, and have been a heavy Adobe After Effects user since 1999. I have just bought Flash as a part of the new Adobe Production Studio (After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore, Audition, Photoshop, and... Flash. I know NOTHING about Flash (yet), so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I am wondering if it is possible to deliver Flash video for local playback.. not through the web? I have a client who wants to mail out to their customers several hundred USB-sticks containing a 3 minute video I've produced. Since Flash seems to be a format most PCs and MACs have installed, it might be the best format to use? A WMV won't play on all MACs, and a Quicktime won't play on all PCs. Naturally, I can put both a WMV and a QT on the USB-stick, but that will take up more space (so a larger, more expensive USB-stick is required), and the viewers will have to go through an extra steps selecting the correct format for their machine. So if I can use Flash, how do I do it? I know I can't just put a FLV on the memory stick, since FLV needs a special player to work. I tried making a swf, but it doesn't automatically play when I double-click it. I can play it in Windows Internet Explorer, but it doesn't keep the correct dimensions, and also the user would need to know that they have to open it in IE. So.. is there a way to encode video to Flash and have it be easily playable locally off of the memory stick on both PCs and MACs?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: Newbie question, delivering Flash video.
on Apr 7, 2006 at 9:56:14 am

Maybe you make a player in a swf file, set the player to call a local flv for the video element, publish to html, modiy the html output to taste, and include html, swf and flv files on the stick ... then ask your recipients to open the html to view ...

Return to posts index

lajoiet
on Apr 7, 2006 at 2:08:19 pm

What you want to do is publish your file to a projector (exe), and if you're interested in making it PC and Mac compatable, you will need to make a projector for each and include both on your memory stick. Assuming that your Flash file is very small, and is basically just a container for the FLV file and controls, it's not a big size issue to have both projectors as the projector software only adds about 1MB to your flash file (as in if your SWF file is 800k, the file as a projector would be 1.8MB or so). These days most people aren't concerned about an extra meg or 2...

So create your Flash file to play your FLV (I'm assuming that you're streaming an external FLV here), and on the first frame include the follwing lines of code:

fscommand("allowscale", false);//change "false" to true if you want it to fill the screen
fscommand("fullscreen", true);//This maximizes the window and gets rid of the menu bar
fscommand("trapallkeys", true);//This prevents keys like and such from interfering with playback, be sure to have an exit button!!! will still work

Now open the publish settings and under "Formats"select "Windows Projector (.exe)" and "Macintosh Projector" (those are the only ones you need, you don't need the SWF, it's embedded in the projector file, and you don't need HTML since we won't be opeining a browser.)

Now when you publish your file you will get 2 files, if you're working on a Mac in Flash you should be all set, one will be the Mac projector file with just the file name and the other will be the PC projector file with the file name.exe. If you're working on a PC, you will get the .exe file and a .hqx file. The HQX file is the Mac Projector in a Stufit file. You will need to take this to a Mac and unstuff it to get the working Mac Projector.

Now just include the 2 projector files and your FLV and you should be all set. If you have access to a Mac, it is best to do all this on there, since if you're not carefull on the PC you can cause the Mac Projector to not function quite easily.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Apr 7, 2006 at 2:34:07 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]