FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about Flash sites

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JHager
question about Flash sites
on Apr 2, 2006 at 8:57:20 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting in a forum here on Creative Cow. Wonderful site. I've enjoyed it for years. So my question is (forgive me if I'm sooo newbie) Are flash animated websites just one big animated flash movie with buttons and links that become active over time? It just blows me away. I made my simple website with Adobe Go-live and can't get my head around Flash sites and how beautiful they are.
Thanks for your help.

John

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: question about Flash sites
on Apr 2, 2006 at 10:22:01 pm

Flash is a many faceted thing. Web sites can be designed in many different ways for many different purposes. You can have a single file with a timeline that will bring content in and out or activate and de-activate over time, but that is not a very easy or efficient way to work.

There is no right or wrong way to do things in Flash (in my opinion), but some ways are better than others, and my preference is for a main flash file that, based on user interaction, loads content into itself based on user interaction. And example of this would be Lee's scrolling thumbnail tutorial. In that case you have a simple Flash file that has the 2 holder areas, the scrolling thumbail holderwindow and the image display holder window, plus some code to read an XML file. When you visit the page, the flash file loads the XML file, which in turn give the flash file the information on where to find the thumbnail images, and where the larger version of those thumbnails are on the net. The Flash file then loads the thumbnails into the scrolling panel and waits for the visitor to interact with it. When the user clicks on a thumbnail, Flash loads that photo into the Image Holder. In this case, there is absolutely NO content in the flash file. you can use the exact same file with an entirely different set of photos just by changing the XML file. Here it is in action:

http://home.comcast.net/~tlajoie/bognoho/bognoho.html (very slow home server)

This can also be done with external flash files, so for example you could make a flash file that was your portfolio, and a separate one that was your interests and hobbies. Then on your main site you could have a holder area to display content, but no content in the file other than buttons for your portfolio and interests & hobbies. When the visitor clicks on one of the buttons the main flash file would load the selected flash file inside the holder area.

This can snowball into many different and interactive methods that even this long winded post can never hope to address.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]