FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Make getURL work on a MovieClip in Flash 8 Professional

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Everett Bowes
Can't Make getURL work on a MovieClip in Flash 8 Professional
on Mar 8, 2006 at 6:53:38 pm

I can't use the getURL function on a movieclip. I am new to Flash, but, using ActionScript assist, I click on the movieClip that I want used as the link, and then use script assist to add the getURL... the problem is that it keeps coming up with "onClipEvent". I assume that's why if I click ANYWHERE on the webpage it sends me to that link. I want to go to that link only if I click ON THAT SPOT... If I overwrite "onClipEvent" with "onRelease" it states that I can only use onClipEvent....

HELP?!
(example below)

onClipEvent (mouseUp) {
getURL("specials/special1.html", "_blank");
}

Return to posts index

GeoffT
Re: Can't Make getURL work on a MovieClip in Flash 8 Professional
on Mar 8, 2006 at 10:05:54 pm

You need to create a new movlie clip the size of the area that you want. Place an instance of that movie clip on the stage. Click the on instance, then in the properties, give the movie clip a name (i.e. mclButton). You can also change the alpha to zero if you want it to be invisible.

Then go to the actions on the timeline where the new movie clip is located, and enter this code:

mclButton.onRelease = function() {
getURL("specials/special1.html", "_blank");
}

I also recommend spending some time in Help and tutorials.

Geoff

"The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know."

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:10:00 pm

I'd probably just create an invisible button (i.e. only a shape in the hit state to define the hit area) then your code would be:

on (release) {
getURL("http://www.creativecow.net/", "_blank");
}

chris

i'm not random i'm tangent oriented...

Return to posts index

Everett Bowes
on Mar 9, 2006 at 1:08:44 pm

Thanks, Guys! I have tried these two things in the past. My problem with Movie Clips is that if I choose to use them, ANY mouse click ANYWHERE will call up the URL I'm aiming for. But, I obviously only want this to work when clicked on a specified area.

The problem with creating a transparent button is that they either don't work, or, I lose the effects that the movieClip had...

I'd be interested in posting the FLA if you want to take a peak at the file yourself... contact me directly if so. I REALLY appreciate the help!
everett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]