video site

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justinheaney
video site
on Mar 1, 2006 at 9:57:10 am

Hey All.

Just a quick question.

For a small 5 page flash site i am making.

Is it too ambitious for me to embed an FLV which is the full size of the flash document (900 by 600 pixels), and use it as my background all over the site.

I am going to encode it at the max possible quality via On2VP2 700kbits/sec, and it will be an eloborate after effects driven piece, with la few visual gaps to put in proper vector flash stuff over the top...

I heard on a tutorial somewhere that it isn't wise to embed video direct in the SWF, however this would kick a**. pardon my french.

Cheers

Justin

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: video site
on Mar 1, 2006 at 12:32:57 pm

Well, there's no reason you couldn't do the same thing with an external FLV streaming in the background. The issue with imbedding it is enclosing ALL that video data into your SWF, which is going to balloon the size of your SWF and cause your site to load very slowly. This is the reason they generally recommend that you only imbed very short small video clips if any.

The downside to streaming it is the site will not have the background in it or it will pause and jump if the video data cannot be sent or recived fast enough to keep the buffer full. Other than that, there is no difference between and internal or external FLV file.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
on Mar 1, 2006 at 3:03:38 pm

I'm also wondering how badly the site may drag if you've got a fullscreen video playing throughout the site. I know on macs in general flash isn't that snappy to start with, on any slow machine this would just suck.

i'm not random i'm tangent oriented...

Return to posts index

justinheaney
on Mar 2, 2006 at 1:09:23 am

Thanks for the replies.

Can external flash video clips load with the site, so it doesn't have to load when you reach the page it is on?
I want the background video to be an intristic part of the page layout, looping seamlessly, not something that is externally linked, and loaded in a seperate skin or area.
It has to be playing already when the viewer first glimpses the layout.

I would have thought this would be simple enough to do?

Cheers

Justin

Return to posts index

lajoiet
on Mar 2, 2006 at 11:51:21 am

It is rather simple to do, but you're relying on the internet and the user's computer do do it, which are variables that you cannot control, and you're expecting them to do it with a LOT of data.

I would put the video into the background of a SWF file and then load your other content into that base file depending on user interaction.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

justinheaney
on Mar 4, 2006 at 7:40:39 am

ok. Cheers for that Todd

Justin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]