FORUMS: list search recent posts

video clips and buttons

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marcoshoracio
video clips and buttons
on Feb 26, 2006 at 5:53:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a novice flash user who's been struggling for the past couple of weeks trying to put together a flash project that would allow users to pick and stream from a selection of video clips.

I've looked around this and other forums and saw a lot of people suggesting to use XML as a means of accomplishing this goal. I've tried that approach with no success (I'm very unfamiliar with code writing).

Anyway, I decided to tackle this project within Flash itself. I basically created nested movie clips for each one of the video clips. They're all on the same layer, but at different points of the timeline(keyframes).

On a separate layer I created buttons for each respective clip. I then created an actions layer in which I wrote a basic code so that when the user clicks on a button, he then jumps to the point of the timeline that has that video clip.

It's all working fine with the exception that when I click on a button that plays the clip on frame 10, let's say, and if I want to see the clip that's nested on frame 2, its matching button no longer works.

I don't know if that's enough information for you Flash masters, but I would greatly appreciate some help. I can also email the project in case that helps.

Thanks a lot!!!

Marcos H.

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: video clips and buttons
on Feb 26, 2006 at 10:34:59 pm

You would need to have the code for all of the buttons either in the actions frame at each video key frame, or on another frame that is in a block that covers the entire timeframe. I have in the past made 2 actions layers, one for global actions like your buttons, which has no keyframes on it, but has the code for all of your elements that happen anywhere on your timeline (such as your buttons) and then a second "local" actions layer that would have a keyframe at each of your videos and contain the actionscript necessary to stop the play on that frame and play the video file.

>Todd

I'm filling a need. Without me there would be no bad examples.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]