FORUMS: list search recent posts

Webpages not working with Firefox and Netscape

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Stewart
Webpages not working with Firefox and Netscape
on Feb 17, 2006 at 2:26:17 pm

Hello,

I am testing my Flash webpages in Firefox and Netscape and the pages do not display in the correct aspect ratio. They work great in Safari and Explorer, but not the othes.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to make it compatible with all browsers?

Thank You very much,

Jimmy

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
Re: Webpages not working with Firefox and Netscape
on Feb 17, 2006 at 3:17:08 pm

You need two tags when you place a flash movie in a webpage, one is the param tag that tells IE how to view your movie and one is the embed tag that tells firefox how. put in the embed tag and it should work, you can check HTML in the publish settings of your flash movie to get the exact syntax.

chris

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stewart
on Feb 17, 2006 at 3:50:57 pm

Thanks, Chris,

but how to i insert the tags? im not experienced writer of code. is it in publish settings "detect flash verison"? it does work in explorer but not netscape and firefox.

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
on Feb 17, 2006 at 4:13:23 pm

if you go into your publish settings and check the HTML box it will write an HTML file for you as well as the flash file. you should be able to copy and paste what's between the two OBJECT tags and be good to go.

chris

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stewart
on Feb 17, 2006 at 4:25:33 pm

im sorry Chris, that box was already checked and i still dont know what to do. im not familiar with this in flash- only dreamweaver. can you walk me through? sorry for being such a novice.

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
on Feb 17, 2006 at 6:18:07 pm

well, if you're using dreamweaver you should be able to just Insert > Media > Flash and it'll create the correct code for you. If that doesn't work you can view the HTML created by Flash, copy the source between the OBJECT tags (including the object tags) and paste that into your HTML doc where you want it. that help?

chris

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stewart
on Feb 17, 2006 at 6:29:52 pm

I found it easier to design whole pages in Flash, so I was just using Flash to build my whole website..but is that not a good way? I do have Dreamweaver, I notice when I bring my Flash pages into Dreamweaver, it displays correctly in Firefox, etc.

But I notice in Dreamweaver I cannot make buttons on pages I already designed in Flash or work on pages...and my buttons I made in Flash dont work in Dreamweaver. So, should I be able to make complete pages in Flash and then bring into and manage in Dreamweaver?

Im just not sure how to work with Flash in Dreamweaver. I assume its not goog to build and maintain a complete site in Flash?

Thanks, Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Figat
on Feb 17, 2006 at 6:50:34 pm

there's not really a good clear answer to that question. A site has be put in HTML at some point, even if its simply placing the Flash file in an HTML doc for it to load. sites done completely in Flash tend to be large (in terms of file size) and difficult to edit/change unless they're designed properly. A Flash site (for the most part) exists independently of HTML, it's a self-contained piece so you really can't create anything outside of Flash that will affect it.

I lean more towards creating HTML sites with Flash elements, you could for example create a Flash header with navigation where each button has a getURL action that loads another HTML page. the code for the Flash to interact with the HTML has to be contained in the Flash though.

hopefully that all makes sense, sounds like you may want to pick up a book on web/flash design to see how everything works together.

chris

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stewart
on Feb 17, 2006 at 7:20:21 pm

that is helpful..thank you, chris. and yes, i will go out and grab a book. thanks for all the insight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]