FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie help, FLA to video

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike moncrief
Newbie help, FLA to video
on Feb 2, 2006 at 7:38:51 pm

Hello,

Never posted here before.. I am a video guy, and really do not know squat about Flash..But i have a client who has given me a FLA file, which I need to convert to video for use on a DVD..So i turn to the good people here hoping for some help.. OK, I do have Flash MX 2004 (i guess this is Flash 7 ??) program.. I load the FLA file into it.. and then i go to export file.. first i tried AVI, it writes out a file, but when i look at this file using either windows medai player, my NLE, After Effects etc.. part of it is garbled... colors are all wrong, frame is shifted etc..But when i select the swf file format, it writes out the Flash file, which i double click on and it plays perfect..
I then tried to write out the file as a series of still images.. it then writes the frames to my chosen directory.. But when i load it up in my NLE, i can see the frames, but some of the animated motion is not happening ??
Not sure what else I can do to make this work.. ?? One thing is, maybe the size of the FLA file does not match videos 720X480 ?? could that have any effect??
Grabbing straws.. Any help is much appreciated..

Thanks,
mike moncrief

Return to posts index

Richard
Re: Newbie help, FLA to video
on Feb 2, 2006 at 9:13:58 pm

Heres the problem. Even if your able to convert that FLV file to MPEG2, your going to loose so much quality, it's going to look like like $#it. FLV is a highly compressed format created for distribution. Any attempts to convert it to a high res format like Mpeg-2 will be a disaster.

But, I believe I've seen a conversion program out there.. I just can't remember where it was..

-Richard

Return to posts index

mike moncrief
on Feb 2, 2006 at 9:24:13 pm

Hi,

Thanks for responding, maybe i am mistaken, as i am no Flash Expert.. But i believe the FLA file is the file which loads into the Flash Program ? and not a compressed file for viewing.. i do realize that once i export it from the Flash application(i was attempting to use uncompressed video until it goes to DVD) that it will not be as good as the vectorized Flash file.. but certainly it is useable ??

Mike moncrief

Return to posts index

lajoiet
on Feb 3, 2006 at 1:03:17 am

FLV and FLA are 2 different things. FLVs are flash video files which usually start life in an NLE and are converted to flash video after final editing. FLA files are the native flash files for working within Flash, and can contain vector and bitmap information, animation settings, tweens, interactive scripts and SOOOOOO much more.

Assuming that the FLA that you have doesn't have any nested movie clips, and it is just strait animation (no interactivity, butons to click and what not) you should be able to get useable video out of it. I've used AVI in the past and gotten spotty results. Did you try to export as Quicktime? that often works the best. When all else fails, I've used the S-Video out of my laptop and run that into our video editor's capture card and gotten very good video, which will include nested animations and such and you can also capture interactive stuff as you do it.

Return to posts index

mike moncrief
on Feb 3, 2006 at 2:16:13 am

Hello,

Well this has been an extremely frustrating experience.. Maybe should not have accepted this task from the client..
It is an FLA file.. I have now tried to export using quicktime, and it starts to export the file, but then it gets an error and says the installed version of quicktime, does not have the handler for the type of Macromedia Flash File...

The installed version of flash on the machine is 6.5.2

i just downloded the latest version of quicktime.. version 7..and guess what the same thing..

Crap.. Thought it would be a breeze just load up the file and export it out..

Mike m.

Return to posts index

lajoiet
on Feb 3, 2006 at 3:07:20 am

Before you export to quicktime, go into your publish settings and on the Flash Tab, set the Version to Flash Player 5.

That should get rid of the error message you got.

Return to posts index

mike moncrief
on Feb 3, 2006 at 3:27:20 am

Hello,

OK, I will give that a try when i get back on the system..

Thanks..

mike moncrief

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]