FORUMS: list search recent posts

A 'master player' for FLV, SWF & MP3 ?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spiritof45
A 'master player' for FLV, SWF & MP3 ?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 4:35:36 pm

Greetings, I've been on a hunt for a "master player", but as yet have found nothing suitable. I'm hoping someone here might be able to either direct me, or finally stop my frustrating quest with the words "it doesn't exist".

What I'm looking for is a player that:

- Can play FLV, SWF and MP3 files
- Is skinnable (in Flash)
- Loads files via an XML playlist

I think the main contenders here are:
- Wimpy AV player (but not skinnable; poor playlist implementation)
- Rich Media Project (plays FLV only)
- ESA (FLV only)

Of the three the Wimpy player seems good, but not being skinnable and having to hunt about in a double-rollup section for the playlist means it's not practical. My site traffic would simply never find the playlist !

But the Wimpy player gives me hope that it's at least possible to play all three formats in a Flash-based player via XML.

If anyone has any thoughts they'd be most appreciated.

Return to posts index

lajoiet
Re: A 'master player' for FLV, SWF & MP3 ?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 7:13:28 pm

Well, it certainly can be done, but I doubt you will find something already out there for purchase that has that list of features. Anyone reasonably experienced in Flash should be able to make it for you. I have no experience in creating things that are skinable, so that's the only piece I'm not 100% sure about.

Return to posts index

spiritof45
on Jan 28, 2006 at 11:31:34 pm

Thanks for the reply lajoiet.

Skinnable is the least important issue. And all it would need to be is to have the player in FLA form and I could modify from there...

The feature list is a little tricky I suppose. But I'd like to play MP3s so I can let people play my podcast MP3s through the player, and I have a mix of straight video and traditional SWF animations.

It does seem funny to me that with all the emphasis on Flash video these days that someone hasn't come up with an integrated player.

I know some Flash myself, but making this is beyond me. Would it be a big job do you think ? I can pay but have no idea what would be a fair price...

Return to posts index

Bob Carpenter
on Feb 14, 2006 at 1:05:48 pm

I'm not to sure if its to late to answer you but here goes. I use wimpy for both video and mp3s . Wimpy makes 2 seperate players and at the price they charge its a no brainer. My MP3's are accessed thru a seperate link on my site, while videos are from another.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]