FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi Animated Button Bar?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Klassen
Multi Animated Button Bar?
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:49:31 pm

I would like to build a bar of buttons that animate with roll-overs and hits and also moves to another location on the page as the page chages design--similar to how the buttons on this web site works:
http://www.impossiblepictures.com

How did they do this? My flash knowledge is very shallow, can someone point me to some tutorials to help build my understanding of how to approach this?

Further Questions:
Using this site as a reference, do I go into Photoshop to build textured backgrounds and the objects that are animated in flash? Or are these created in Flash? I have a very basic knowledge of how flash works, but I'm unclear on specs and starting points for building a workable site. Can someone give me some starting points if I am looking to make a site that works kind of like this one? What are my window sizes? How big a file size is to big for an animated logo? Where do I build the design elements like the fly in blocks in this site example? How do I create good depth in my site?

Thanks,
eric

Return to posts index

Richard
Re: Multi Animated Button Bar?
on Dec 22, 2005 at 10:28:42 pm

>>How did they do this?

a) Definitely professional created. b) years of labor. c) many many hours of design schooling. d) you approach this like any complex problem. You break it down into manageable pieces, and tackle each piece.

>>My flash knowledge is very shallow, can someone point me to some tutorials to help build my understanding of how to approach this?

linda.com and gotoAndLearn.com are the best of the best.. beyond that, there's a lot of great flash books out there, and after that is simply just many many hours of working with it.

>>Using this site as a reference, do I go into Photoshop to build textured backgrounds and the objects that are animated in flash?

Yes. You create a plan.. a look that you want. Write down the plan, or illustrate it if possible. I personally do all my beginning flash in PS, then export all the pieces from PS into PNG format to then build my flash animation/app.

>>Or are these created in Flash?

Sometimes.. depends on the graphics your doing. If your planing on vector based graphics, then yeah.. you might create them in Flash.

>>I have a very basic knowledge of how flash works, but I'm unclear on specs and starting points for building a workable site. Can someone give me some starting points if I am looking to make a site that works kind of like this one?

Books.. Read.. and read lots.

The Bible Series is a great start. Anything by either Lee, Reinhardt, or Moock.

>>What are my window sizes?

I stay under 800 pixels width max.

>>How big a file size is to big for an animated logo?

Sort of moot point nowadays. More then 60% of the US has broad band. However, keep in mind your target audience. Are they tech savvy? Is your product multimedia in nature? DON'T USE FLASH JUST FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING AN ANIMATED LOGO. Function over form. Think of Flash as a tool only.. don't use it for the sake of just using it. One of the biggest complaint of FLASH haters is it's overuse. Just like any tool, it can be abused.

>>Where do I build the design elements like the fly in blocks in this site example?

The greatest sites don't use outside graphics.. they create them. Or hide where they steal them from.. :)

>>How do I create good depth in my site?

What's the product/service?

Hope this helps
-Richard

Return to posts index

Eric Klassen
Re: Multi Animated Button Bar?
on Dec 22, 2005 at 10:45:36 pm

Richard, Thank you for taking all that time for such an indepth reply. I 'll take everything into consideration. This is a television and video production company. My background comes from knowing camera and editing, but not web design. It's all pretty new, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]