FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full Screen performance issues

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
isotrope
Full Screen performance issues
on Dec 19, 2005 at 2:05:32 pm

Hi everyone,
I am trying to develop a screensaver that will play fullscreen in Flash. (800x600, set to scale) (I will then be converting it with ScreenTime).
I am having performance issues with full screen playback.
The stage has a few elements (that I've converted to symbols). They all have a motion tween. There is also a very big backdrop (a spinning circle with alternating black and red slices). This one seems to be the most problematic. If I export without it, everything plays back fine.
All the elements are vector-based (no bitmaps).
I also tried replacing the background with a simple gradient. However, when I tried applying a tint tween, everything got as slow (if not slower) than with the spinning circle.
On my work computer (3Ghz PC w 1G RAM), the slowdown is slight. However, I've tested this on a 1Ghz PC and it was just too slow. (This is the target miniumum spec that I am going for)

Is Flash simply the wrong program for full screen? Am I better off making the tweening background into frame-by-frame animations with no tween?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I hope you all have a marvelous day,
iso

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
Re: Full Screen performance issues
on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:49:35 pm

You answered more or less your own question. The flash player is dependant of your cpu and isn't accelerated by graphic cards. The problem with vector graphics (all graphics actually) is that they can only be displayed at your monitor after they are translated to bitmaps ([600,800][1024,768] etc), to do this the flash player only uses the cpu.
The bigger your screen the more pixels your cpu have to crunch.

when you have a lot of tweening going on, it is usually wise to sequence your tweens (as much as possible)

hope it helps (makes things clearer anyway)

Rene Hazekamp

http://www.renehazekamp.com

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: Full Screen performance issues
on Dec 19, 2005 at 10:48:42 pm

Thank you Rene,
I guess I will have to rethink my approach. The whole point was to quickly and easily "animate" some of my vector-drawn posters to post them online and have a little freebie for the visitors.
I will try sequencing my tweens.
I'll look into Director, as I am guessing that it is more geared towards multimedia "applications" rather than web content.

...or maybe I'll go and learn C++ ...hmm... maybe not ;)

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,
iso

Return to posts index

isotrope
Does Anyone know of any Accelerated players?
on Dec 20, 2005 at 3:04:48 pm

This might sound strange, but I was wondering if there was any way to package a swf into a screensaver... but have an alternate player bundled with it.
This might not be clear...
Since FlashPlayer is not accelerated, I would like to export the swf so that it stays vector-based (and therefore scalable) into a screensaver that has better full screen redrawing capabilities than Flash's native player.

Thank you all,
iso

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
sorry
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:47:01 am

but to my knowledge there isn't one.
for compability, licenses, rights and other reasons
you know ?

Return to posts index

isotrope
Re: sorry
on Dec 22, 2005 at 1:36:52 pm

Rene,
Thank you very much. You have taken much of your time for my questions. I appreciate it a lot.

I guess I will look into more robust alternatives or publishing full screen content after the holidays.

I hope that if you are celebrating any holidays, that yuo get to spend time with your loved ones and et some rest.
...That goes for everyone who might read this.

Have an awesome day,
iso

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]