FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions on making my Flash site load quicker?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suggestions on making my Flash site load quicker?
on Nov 23, 2005 at 12:37:14 am

Hi - I've been working with Flash on a couple of websites, and I am fairly comfortable with the program. However, it seems like the sites I create all take much longer to load than the average Flash site I visit on the web - I've made all my images as low a resolution as I can get away with, but I was wondering if anyone has any other tips on how to minimize load time? I appreciate your help! - Jennifer

Return to posts index

Ken Ross
Re: Suggestions on making my Flash site load quicker?
on Dec 18, 2005 at 11:38:38 am

I'm fairly new to flash myself, but one thing I have found in the few sites I have made, is that having different areas load only as needed will reduce or eliminate the initial load time.

If you have a website with 5 'pages' for example, make the stage a loader and only load in the static elements - well it might have dynamic stuff - but I mean those things which stay the same through the entire site. Then when a menu is clicked, load a separate .swf file into the 'content' area, using its own preloader. That way the site comes up right away, and each page only takes a moment or two to load - so if a visitor only goes to 1 or 2 of the content pages, they don't have to wait for the content they don't need to be loaded.

Another element I have seen that speeds things up is dynamic content generation. Instead of storing it in the .swf file, read content in from external files - images, text files, and XML files.

Again, I am fairly new too, so I may be off base, but it may work for you.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved