FORUMS: list search recent posts

Floating cloth

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dominic Plaza
Floating cloth
on Oct 26, 2013 at 9:17:34 pm

Im trying to animate cloth object falling down on the floor and it feels like the cloth is floating in the air. How can I make it to stay on the floor?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Floating cloth
on Oct 29, 2013 at 2:31:56 am

any luck with this? It looks like the cloth could be subdivided a lot more other than that the settings are where the magic is (depending on the kind of look you are going for). Can you post the scene?

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:41:46 am

No luck so far. This should be wrapping paper so I'm happy with the subdivision. The cloth is still floating above the surface.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyxl9k15gqyhcqy/Paper_0006.c4d

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:13:35 am

Brian is right; you don't have enough polygons to allow the geometry to deform properly.

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:04:17 pm

I added tons of subdivision and its still floating above the surface in the rendering plus its looking like cloth and not as paper, the desired effect.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:08:47 pm

Hmm, what version of Cinema are you using? Because when I render it here in R15 a lot of the cloth is actually BELOW the floor.

EDIT: Okay, tried in R14 and the result is what you're seeing. What I would do in this case is not try to fight city hall (i.e., quit messing with the cloth system and fake it). Use a plane object as your collider instead of the floor. Make the plane invisible in the renderer and create a floor positioned so that the cloth rests properly on it. In my case that means setting the floor height to 31.792cm.

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:21:16 pm

Im on the latest R15.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:26:50 pm

Huh, how weird. Anyway, the advice stands. Use a plane as the collider and then place the floor where it needs to be so it looks right.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 30, 2013 at 3:57:27 pm

I took a look at it I removed all the textures (don't have VRay) and put a default on the floor and a whiter on the paper and it doesn't go through the floor (I was seeing what Adam was), by floating do you mean the bulk of the paper laying flat on the ground to the left of the part that doesn't unfold to the right (using your camera view)?
If it's the flat part to the left reduce the Point EPS, Edge EPS, Polygon EPS in the Expert tab of the Cloth tag to .01 for each.
If it's the part to the right that doesn't fold down you have to reduce the Stiffness.

To get a more paper-y look as it falls try increasing Flexion (which is actually a form of stiffness)

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:11:20 pm

No, the paper doesn't go thru the floor. You can clearly see it hits the floor and flatten out in the animation but when rendering the shadow is under the paper like it was floating above the surface. In mu opinion the cloth should stick to the floor and it should not cast any shadows because its right on the floor. I hope I you understand my problem.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:17:49 pm

absolutely, it's the left part that concerns you then. You have one option, decrease the epsilons (the EPS values) in the Expert tab to the point where it no longer appears to float but it doesn't just fall through the floor

I'd also increase the Friction on both the floor and the paper a lot so it stops 'crawling' across the floor once it lands

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:23:12 pm

Yes, EPS is down to 0.001 and the problem still persists.

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:30:39 pm

It feels like there is some kind of offset activated. When I'm highlighting the cloth the yellow border appears around the object and the border is like the render should be. You can see on the screen shoot the border and interactive render with the offset.

screenshot2013-10-30at6.27.25pm.png

Return to posts index

Dominic Plaza
on Oct 30, 2013 at 5:43:00 pm

So I found the problem. On cloth material I have displacement map activated which shrinks material and creating the offset. Happy to found it and really grateful for your help. Those small problems makes us more efficient next time :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]